• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

white worm on body

fishgeek

cant see the picture? you maybe were linking to

forum shows with user names etc but no content in any of the top half of the page entries? just outline

andrew

fishgeek

leech, well thats what it looks like to me

not a common pathogen , was this wil caught fish
they suck blood and can therefore lead to anaemia , and secondary infections may arise where they have caused tissue damage

treatment - many options from simply removal salt abthes to many chemicals that are used against external parasites copper is licensed for use in some aquaculture area's

andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Andrew and mummymonkey for your kind help.

(P.S.: The URL I posted is present but that forum's server
is unstable, which goes down from time to time...i am sorry for that)

In fact, one of my wild Eliza got infected with this worm,
http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3661

I at first used trichofloron (mild dosage), but failed.
Then I used "Surgery" to take out the worm. It seemed to
be a success but i later on found that there're more worms
in many places of the body... worst of all, they are
inside the skin/ or so strongly attached that i could not
remove them without seriously hurting the fish. Some friends told
me that for this kind of worm, when we chop them into 2 pieces,
each piece will develop as an individual!! So, i turned to use
external parasite medicine with copper as the main active
ingredient... after two weeks, it also failed....

I now turned back to use trichofloron, this time, with increased
dosage... and hope it help. ~.~" If it fails again, i will pick the fish
out, and use a needle to drop some Cu-active medicine onto the
infected area directly... may even damage the fish's tissue a little bit...

Are there any more advice on killing this parasite?
Thanks.

fishgeek

direct alcohol swab has been advocated for removal , though take care not to damage too much of fish's slime coat

blueblue

5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
direct alcohol swab has been advocated for removal , though take care not to damage too much of fish's slime coat

Thanks Andrew... hmm... do you mean that we use some tool, after
absorbing some alcohol, directly touch the infected area and try to remove the parasite? Please advise.

fishgeek

cotton bud in alchol straight onto leech, should make it let go
otherwise i would just use tweasers to pull off then swab with general antibacterial/antifungal to stop secondaries

by my understanding the increasing numbers of these that you are seeing is not common
pisicola species though are able to survive off the host fish for long periods and so the tank may need to be drained and and dried to remove adults and eggs

as you have intermated , the life cycle is direct and adults are hermaphroditic and can lay eggs within the substrate allowing this increase in numbers from just one lone invader

organophosphates are a pretty much guarannteed control method, though as a family of drugs i think their safety margin in fish is very low
they are paralysing agents(block nerve conduction) and if going to use them be very careful

best of luck

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Andrew very much for your kindest advice.

fishgeek said:
cotton bud in alchol straight onto leech, should make it let go
otherwise i would just use tweasers to pull off then swab with general antibacterial/antifungal to stop secondaries

by my understanding the increasing numbers of these that you are seeing is not common
pisicola species though are able to survive off the host fish for long periods and so the tank may need to be drained and and dried to remove adults and eggs

as you have intermated , the life cycle is direct and adults are hermaphroditic and can lay eggs within the substrate allowing this increase in numbers from just one lone invader

organophosphates are a pretty much guarannteed control method, though as a family of drugs i think their safety margin in fish is very low
they are paralysing agents(block nerve conduction) and if going to use them be very careful

best of luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….