• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

white junk on wood

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a couple pieces of wood from my lfs. I put them
in my tanks and they have developed some sort of white slime, does any
one know what this crap is and how to get rid of it?

fishgeek

fungal or mould if it is the jelly type stuff, only seems to affect the wood so believe it is sapprophytic rather than parasitic and shouldn't be a prob for the fish

i just picked it off then scrubbed the area
never returned there or anywhere else

fishgeek

old toothbrush i have for brushing my moss, sounds silly i know but it seems to get the early hair algae out

just pick off the biggest bit then scrub wood whilst in tank
if it comes back(i think most of the time sporulation occurs with moisture and would be self limiting totally submerged anyway) then perhaps boiling water or straight chlorine to reduce spore numbers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….