• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What would you call my cacatuoides variation?

Bellringer

I recently purchased a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. My LFS that I purchased them from had no idea what to call their variation. I'll try to get a picture of my female, but she is trying avidly to stay in her cave. The female is half his size, yellow, with splotches of black that could almost be mistaken for a black line on both sides. Orange tips on dorsal fin. What would you call their variation?

photoxlr.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the apisto forum. I would call your fish a domestic A. cacatuoides. Back in the mid-80s this is what colorful cacs looked like. It's really not got enough color to even be called a Double Red, but probably is a poor example from this strain. Still it is a pretty fish. Enjoy it for what it is. A name means nothing unless it is misleading.

briztoon

5 Year Member
I really like the look of that cacatuoides, much more so than the double and tripple reds and the orange flash cacatuoides. Have never really been a fan of cacatuoides, but I do like the related spescies "Black chin" and the "wild form" look. I think it's the blue tinting in his fins and body what does it for me.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
It really does resemble what was considered an exceptionally colorful A. cacatuoides 20+ years ago.
It is too bad sometimes that only the most extravagantly colored strains are bred at the expense of not retaining wild types. Just as has happened with Discus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….