• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What went on here???

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Ok frist off. I had a fry of what I thought to be Cockatoo Orange Flash. I have been noticing they're getting alot of coloring to them and even getting sexable. I was going to add them to my stock list and sell them. I was fixing to take some pics for aquabid. I was editing picture size when I noticed it.
Most of the fry has the marking of cockatoo's!! I took a few more pictures and noticed that almost all the fry has started getting black in the tail and dorsal fin area. Just like the cockatoo's. So I know the female was in with the Orange Flash for over 1 month and had never been breed with any of the cockatoo's in another tank.
I know she's a female Orange Flash { Are so i thought } She's only ever been with the Orange Flash male. In a tank of there own. So why M I getting this marking in the fry? Here's a few shoots of the fry. Maybe ya'll can tell me why this has happened??
100_2651.jpg

100_2652.jpg

100_2650.jpg

100_2386.jpg

I have some more if this dosn't help or if ya'll would like to see others. the fry was born on 01/03/06. This marking just showed up about a week ago. Cause the earlyer pics I have dosn't show this. So what M I to do as far as selling goes?????

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am not sure what teh exact genetic control over orange flash is, but I sispect that the strain may not breed true, just as there is a lot of variation in the triple red phenotype. How old are the fish? You may want to hold them until they are close to four-five month so that the males are very nice and large and you can easily determine their quality.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
They where free swimming on January 22,06' . Now if the strains not ture Orange Flash either is it either the male or the female? I noticed in the female just now when I was feeding that she has the dark black area in her tail like the red's do. So that would mean she's the reason there with the red's marking wouldn't ya'll thank.
If I hold them til ths say May the frist the ture OF should show or whitch ones will be OF and witch ones will be red's?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….