• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to put with my mate kribs.

Kaie

I have a lone mated pair of kribs in a 29gal.

I was trying to keep the tank 'W African'. But im not finding much other than jellybean tetras.

What have you guys kept successfully with kribs?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good old Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus) are good choice. So are any of the Protatopus spp. killie fish which are a schooling lamp eye type.

Kaie

I was thinking killifish too.

Congos would get too big for a 29gal wouldnt they?

These Killifish are from West Africa.. apparently the same drainage area and everything. Fundulopanchax gardneri

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A group of 5 or 6 Congo Tetra would be just fine in a 29 gallon tank.

Fundulopanchax and Aphyosemion are found in most of West African and you shold be able to rack down species (maybe not exact locations though) to match the fish you have. Personally I don't find that either genus makes a good dither fish though as they stay right at the water surface and like/need some plants at the top of the tank to hang out in. That said, if you are just looking to add more fish to the tank and possibly some color then you are on the right track.

The lamp eye killies (Procatopus and Aplocheilichthys) are more tetra like in that they are active schooling fish that are always swimming the open upper parts of the tank. They make a much more effective dither fish but their colors tend to be more reserved.

Kaie

A group of 5 or 6 Congo Tetra would be just fine in a 29 gallon tank.

Fundulopanchax and Aphyosemion are found in most of West African and you shold be able to rack down species (maybe not exact locations though) to match the fish you have. Personally I don't find that either genus makes a good dither fish though as they stay right at the water surface and like/need some plants at the top of the tank to hang out in. That said, if you are just looking to add more fish to the tank and possibly some color then you are on the right track.

The lamp eye killies (Procatopus and Aplocheilichthys) are more tetra like in that they are active schooling fish that are always swimming the open upper parts of the tank. They make a much more effective dither fish but their colors tend to be more reserved.

Good info ill look for some congos.

Do you think there would be in compatible 'cleaner' fish that wont get mangled by the Kribs? I know Kuhlis aren't from Africa but they run and hide at the first sign of danger.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
What do you want cleaner/debre or algae eating?

For algae Sicydium gobies are great!

For general debre eating/scavaging Microsynodontis would be my first choice in a 29 gallon tank. The few species that are imported are all nocternal in my experience, as are most Synodontis. The Microsynodontis stay small at 1 3/4" or less on average so 4-6 of them would be happy in you tank as long as you give them some pellet foods toward the evening a few times a week.

Kaie

Man you are full of info.... i really appreciate it. I didnt even know there was a FW goby.

So do you think...

6 Congo Tetras
2 Kribenses [full grown]
1 Goby
4 Microsynodonti

Will all have enough room and be compatible with one another in a 29gal?

Also do you think those Congos are able to be both dither and target? Or do Kribs not need target fish? Hes already kicked her out of the cave =/

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
That should be a great mix of fish for your tank.

The Congo tetra should provide enough activity to make thekribs comfortable as well as give the pair something to chase when the cichlids have fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….