• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of apistogramma do I have?

onymousx

I ended up buying 3 of these little fellows.

59016_1551782283424_1501147300_31421276_5611192_n.jpg

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hiya Onymousx,

Ok please some more info and photos. What did you buy them under ? Firstly your tank is set up incorrect in my view, large gravel and sharp edges slate or rocks. More details on the fish, size and tank details etc. At first glance, looks like a Bolivian gold juvenile and no apisto. Just a rough guess. Please more info. cheers jk :cool:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When I look at the plastic plants in the photo, my guess is that this fish is very small/young. It is a domestic color form that shows no diagnostic black markings (at least in this photo). I would need better photos showing some pattern of markings (possibly when it is more mature) to make an accurate ID. BTW, I moved it to the appropriate forum. Hope you don't mind.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female gold or yellow form of cacatouides would be my guess. It hard to say on a man made strain/form of fish though. Do you have a picture of a colored up male from the group?

onymousx

Yeah, it's a juvenile alright. Awe-fully tiny :) The store owner told me it was an apistogramma cacatuoides. After doing some google searches I found out it's most likely not. It might be too young to determine? I'll try and get some better shots in the morning of a male's tail pattern(although it's so tiny). Right now they are in moonlight phase :) As for the tank setup, I am surely embarrassed to show my plastic plant decoration. I just got some Anacharis and Mondo Grass today with an Algae ball. Once the plants start taking over and I do some cloning, I plan on removing the noob plastic decorations. The sharp rock you see is a petrified wood that I used to make caves. I also agree the gravel is quite large for this type of fish, but it's been cycled and if I removed the gravel it will most likely cause a mini-cycle. Would you recommend putting a finer substrate on top of this? If not, What would be your recommendation? Thanks in advance. My tank is 60 gallons, and I have a couple large pieces of driftwood for them. I'll do what I can to make this tank a happy/healthy one.

p.s. My bad for posting in the wrong section. Thanks for moving my thread! :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome, I don't know what they are, which is nothing new for me, but you have found the right forum to ask on.

Mondo grass isn't actually an aquatic and will slowly die in your tank. Have a look here <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php> for some details about tank set up, plants etc. ApistoBob is a member here and has plenty of practical experience of Dwarf Cichlid care.

cheers Darrel

onymousx

They seem to know exactly when to swim right when the camera is gonna take a picture but I finally got a couple shots after much persistence.

58560_1554258625331_1501147300_31426930_632229_n.jpg

...and a shot of the tail

47245_1554258465327_1501147300_31426929_7905865_n.jpg

I went to Petco today and I bought the black planted aquarium substrate they were selling. Soon, very soon... I plan on swapping the substrate I have with this new substrate.

Out of curiosity, the 2 bags of CaribSea FloraMax and 3 bags Activ.Flora substrate states that there is bacteria in this stuff that cycles your tank. Is this gonna prevent a mini-cycle or even speed things up? I am hoping so. It also seems to be packed with minerals as it lists quite a few on the bag. Also, will this allow me to use PURE R/O water? (I understand they will need to be acclimated to the changes if so)

http://www.activflora.com/

Thanks and thanks!

steve1572

apistogramma cacatuoides.

hi im 99% sure it a gold apistogramma cacatuoides. ive got tanks full of them at the moment and they are identical this these are are pictures of what they look like when they mature
30062010165.jpg
img02871.jpg

onymousx

I gotta say you have some awesome looking fish there! I can see the resemblance in mine. So far these are the best cichlids I have seen! What brand/style of substrate would you recommend? I have an eheim eco pro canister filter with a sponge covering the intake pipe. So if I can use pool filter sand from home depot I will. Also, do you use pure untreated r.o. water? I'm thinking about getting an r.o. unit from Lowe's since my well water is very hard water.

Thanks so much!
species identification : complete.
sex identification: pending...

steve1572

i use childs play sand and ro mixed with 10% tap water as mine is very hard and alkaline looking at you pictures you first post is a female and pic one on your second post is a male hope that helps

onymousx

Hiya Onymousx,

Ok please some more info and photos. What did you buy them under ? Firstly your tank is set up incorrect in my view, large gravel and sharp edges slate or rocks. More details on the fish, size and tank details etc. At first glance, looks like a Bolivian gold juvenile and no apisto. Just a rough guess. Please more info. cheers jk :cool:

looking better?

41285_1556259995364_1501147300_31431696_8065029_n.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….