• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is this cichlid?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
hmmmm....if I click the link I get a page that tells me remote linking is not allowed, if I cut and past the url I get a page full of bird pics???

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The link only works if you copy the link to your browser and enter from there. The fish looks like T. buttekopferi that I've seen, but this genus certainly isn't in my sphere of experience. I easily could be wrong.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike,

I tried that and I still get an error page 404 not avaliable and then I'm redirected to a page with a ton of animal thumbnails. Oh well!

(and to avoid confusing anyone the spelling is Tilapia buttikoferi)

Jeff

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
But it gets worse:
do a search on that site for tilapia-you get a picture labeled as Hemichromis bimaculatus...not like any Hemichromis I've ever seen!!! They might have at least gotten the continent right this time, but I don't have a clue as to what the fish is though. Anyone have a good guess?

(I tried incluiding a link to the page but everytime I insert the link it changes the link in my other post with a link. I can only get it to post a link to one picture or the other. Trying to post both links always changes one of the links so that both links pull up the same page. Weird!)

Jeff

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Sorry for to cause all the problems. That is certainly weird the way the link malfunctions. I thought it was a Tilapia. Moral of the story: Anyone can post anything on the internet (and then make the link do weird things).
Steve

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Invest in books, the links don't change themeselves in books :biggrin:

Unfortunatley the internet is quickly becoming the only way many fish keepers get their info and I.D.'s And as Steve pointed out the on-line I.D.'s are often incorrect to plain out wrong!

And be thankfull for people like Mike Wise who take the time to I.D. fish based on fact and research and not just a gut guess.

Thanks for the laugh of the day Steve!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….