• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Fits This Picture?

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
I'm casually considering a change to the line-up for my 120g (48"x24"x24") West/Central African community that I'm setting up in the Fall. I previously planned to include two pairs of P. rubrolabiatus, but if someone can suggest to me another cichlid that would fit in this community let me know. Here is the current stocking list:

Decor: heavily filled with pieces of driftwood arranged to create shelters, substrate is Tahitian black moon sand, a few rock arrangements as needed, silk plants and live java moss and java fern

1 Polypterus (delhezi, palmas polli, or if I could ever find it, ansorgii) (bichir)
1 Xenomystus nigri (African brown knife)
1 Mormyrid (undecided as to which species at this point- one of the smaller ones, of course)
2 P. rubrolabiatus
2 undecided cichlids (Pelvicachromis sp. or..?)
4 Pantodon buchholzi (African butterflyfish)
4 (Micro)Ctenopoma ansorgii (ornate ctenopoma)
10+ Phenacogrammus interruptus (Congo tetra)

A Synodontis may weasel its way in at some point, but for now these will be the inhabitants. I am still working with a way to lower the pH and hardness of the water, though if I cannot do it safely I will leave it as is.

So, do you think I should stick with two pairs of P. rubrolabiatus or should I include another cichlid species? This tank is in a semi-public place (it faces out into a research center hallway) and I was hoping to educate passersby about the different fish with sheets that are posted nearby.

My list, FYI, is based on a set-up done by someone I know that made an African community in a larger tank and included several species of bichir while sticking to just one pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher as far as cichlids went.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My only concern would be that you are setting up a smorgasbord for the ploypterus... If you really want the polypterus, then I would look into larger cichlids. The bigger Hemochromis or Tilapia species will not likely become snacks. The Pelvicachromis would be small enough to get eaten.

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
As I said, I based this set-up off of one that had been run successfully before that included Pelvicachromis species. That set-up actually contained P. senagalus and P. ornatipinnus(sp?), which are much larger than the species I aim to keep, and there were no problems.

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I quite agree with Ted regarding the Polypterus. Even though most Polypterus senegalus and ornatipinnis being sold around are under 12", they can get to be 18-24" . I can bet you a 12" specimen won't think twice before snacking on the Pelvicachromis.
Let's know if it works out for you.

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
95% of the other fish on the list are also likely to become snacks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)

OK... I would go with Pelvicachromis humilis or any of the Chromidotilapia species...

Steatocranus causarius or irvinii would do well also.

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
I'm not trying to make you all irritated, it's just that someone I know who has kept Polypterus for a few years did a similar set-up with the larger species in a larger tank and had no issues with it.

Here are links so you can find out more about the other person's experience. They go under the alias "Fruitbat" on that site (hope this is allowed... :I):

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21833
This is where I originally voiced my doubt on such a community..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22378&highlight=polypterus
Further discussion.

I understand that it's a risk, but I believe that if I set-up the tank right it will work. Not going to know unless I try...

I hope this gives you more sense on where I'm coming from. I'm sorry if I have gained a negative sort of notoriety for suggesting such a community.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway..

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You obviously have done your research. I certainly am not annoyed with you. I have seen many fish live together when no one thought that they would. Anything is possible, especially in a large tank with lots of hiding spaces. I think that we were all just voicing the odds...

By the way... Toyin is the owner of Rehoboth Aquatics. Check out his site for some of those bicher species you are looking for!

www.rehobothaquatics.com

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
I already have..may not sell them to me now. ;)

Maybe I'll leave the Polypterus out, though I was kind of excited because I've never had one before. I had yet to figure out how I wanted to do the top of the tank with such a fish in question and the material/weight needed to keep it inside the tank, anyway.

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
Did you do anything to simulate rapids (ex. powerheads) and did it have any effect on the bichir if you did?

Regardless of what the final cichlid choice is I was planning on a few small PH's to create a gentle current around the tank, but from my reading I am under the impression that S. casuarius would prefer something stronger?

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
S. casuarius actively avoid strong currents, but well oxygenated water is essential! They tend to hop around on the bottom anyway so current at the surface should be OK. I use a spray bar at the surface or an air stone depending on what I have available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….