• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water changes with fry!

trev1

5 Year Member
I have 10 young taeniatus moliwe fry and was wondering the best way of changing the water. not so much sucking the fry up, that is obvious, but how much to change at one time?
Dont want to upset the parents..maybe eat some of them...

thanks
Trev

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do big water changes with P. taeniatus fry. They are pretty tough and grow faster with cleaner water. 50% is my norm when they are small and still with the parents. Once I move them to growout tanks or bins I will do even larger changes. I do use aged water that is close to the same temperature as the tanks. If you are concerned about upsetting the parents (the fry will not care), do a slow water change rather than rapidly dumping a lot of water in at one time. The parents will usually take the fry back into a cave at night, so you could also do the water change after 'lights out' and avoid disturbing the brood with a rush of water knocking them about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….