• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very rare Laetacara curviceps polygamous

rafael

5 Year Member
:eek:

I have never read about which the Laetacara curviceps was polygamous, but...

The photos are bad, sorry.

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

The guardians :D

IMG_2281.jpg

Rafael.

Randall

5 Year Member
Laetacara curviceps

Hello Rafael,

It's hard for me to see from the photos, but do you have a trio (one male and two females) exhibiting courtship behavior?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

rafael

5 Year Member
Randall said:
It's hard for me to see from the photos, but do you have a trio (one male and two females) exhibiting courtship behavior?
Yes, one male + two female with the "brood care coloration".

Now, you can see one of my L. curviceps in "neutral mood":

aal.jpg

Rafael.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's hard to see from the photos, but one looks less dark than the others. Is it possible that you have 2 males, and 1 of the males is not one of the parents? Could he be interested in "assisting" with the spawn? I would be interested to see if all 3 share brood care of the freeswimming fry. Usually in these situations fry do not survive long.

rafael

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Is it possible that you have 2 males, and 1 of the males is not one of the parents? Could he be interested in "assisting" with the spawn?
No, I have seven L. curviceps (brothers and sisters -me they gave them-) in the tank.
I would be interested to see if all 3 share brood care of the freeswimming fry. Usually in these situations fry do not survive long.
It's ok, in fact the young lost itself with three days of life and they have not returned to lay eggs.

Thanks, Rafael Pereiro.

Randall

5 Year Member
Laetacara curviceps

Hello Rafael,

So sorry that the spawning wasn't successful. Take heart, if they spawned once, they'll do it again.

In an unnatural setting like an aquarium, sometimes fish behave differently than their wild counterparts. In my fishroom, I've observed a second female "assisting" the parents in broodcare. This bizarre behavior, in my experience, is limited to broodcare over the eggs only and not over larvae or free-swimming fry. I've observed this twice; once with Laetacara dorsigera and once with Hemichromis lifallili. These are both monogamous, pair-bonding species.

Good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

rafael

5 Year Member
Hello Randall.
So sorry that the spawning wasn't successful. Take heart, if they spawned once, they'll do it again.
Don't worry, I have a pair with young in another smaller aquarium, ¡but not a trio! :biggrin:
In my fishroom, I've observed a second female "assisting" the parents in broodcare. This bizarre behavior, in my experience, is limited to broodcare over the eggs only and not over larvae or free-swimming fry. I've observed this twice; once with Laetacara dorsigera and once with Hemichromis lifallili. These are both monogamous, pair-bonding species.
Your commentaries are very interesting, is for this reason that I began the message to know other experiences. :wink:

Really thanks,

Rafael Pereiro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….