• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vacation Situation Problem

georgedv

5 Year Member
I will be leaving for about four weeks this summer and the friend that usually minds the fishroom will be unavailable during these four weeks. For most of the tanks I am not worried...its my GBR that Im worried about. I have decided to get a 30 breeder with two sponge filters and I will pack it with java moss and some wisteria floating on top. Tank will have a pair of rams and 3-4 platies. They will be fed by an automatic wheel type feeder. I will do the same with a 20 breeder for the 14 fry i now have...no platies. Feeders will be set to allow a minimum drop of flake foods but enough once a day.

Any thoughts oe ideas from anyone? Suggestions are most welcome!!!

g

steve1572

I have just spent 3 weeks in Australia and while I was away my fish were only fed once a week that included my fry tanks I let all the tanks build up algae on all but the front glass for the weeks leading up to going and didn't clean my sponge filters so there would be enough for the fish to pick on I came back and out of 20 breeding tanks I had one lost female and had 5 new broods of fry all doing well and my 10 fry tanks probably had some losses but nothing noticable

What you have to look at is even feeding the minimum every day they are going 4 weeks without a water change so the water is going to get polluted I would try to get some way of feeding once a week they will be fine with that

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Fats

Hi,what i did last time i went away was get some Java Moss in a tank and left it in the garden for a few weeks before i went. The day i went i placed a bunch in all my fry tanks and tanks where there could of been a possible spawning while away. To my knowledge i didnt lose any fish and like Steve1572 had a few new spawnings all of which did fine.

Ian

electric eel

5 Year Member
I will be leaving for about four weeks this summer and the friend that usually minds the fishroom will be unavailable during these four weeks. For most of the tanks I am not worried...its my GBR that Im worried about. I have decided to get a 30 breeder with two sponge filters and I will pack it with java moss and some wisteria floating on top. Tank will have a pair of rams and 3-4 platies. They will be fed by an automatic wheel type feeder. I will do the same with a 20 breeder for the 14 fry i now have...no platies. Feeders will be set to allow a minimum drop of flake foods but enough once a day.

Any thoughts oe ideas from anyone? Suggestions are most welcome!!!

g
dont know what type of substrate you have but (this works with sand anyway) you can put a fair amount live blackworms in the tank and what your rams dont eat imediately will burrow down into the sand and your rams can hunt them down later.i've had bristlenose catfish tanks where they lived in the driftwood and the sand.i would ocassionally see the fish eat one.this would work on your adult ram tank anyway.they would help clean up any flake food your rams didnt eat also.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks to everybody for the suggestiions. One more question. Of the three rams I have breeding pair and an extra female......how safe is the extra female?

thanks
g

georgedv

5 Year Member
Can anyone help me on this......will it be safe to keep the extra female ram w/the ram pair in a 30 breeder?
Thanks

george

Gwendal

I would only keep the pair, if you are 4 weeks out you cant see the behavior of the pair.

1 saludo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….