• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upper Negro/Orinoco tank (~65 G)

DutchyIvo

After having asked some questions, I thought it would be nice to show our current South-American tank.

2014-02-21-01_zps6272060f.jpg

Aquarium
121 x 41 x 55cm / 47.6" x 16.1" x 21.7"

Filtration
1x JBL e701
1x Eheim Classic 250 ('2213')
de JBL is the main filter, the Eheim is used for peat filtering.

Lighting
2x 54W T5 Juwel High-Lite Nature (4100K)

Substrate
sand

Decor
wood, twigs, oak & beech leaves

Flora
Limnobium laevigatum
Echinodorus bleheri
Mayaca fluviatilis

Fauna
24x Nannobrycon eques
12x Nannostomus marginatus
40x Paracheirodon simulans
01x Hyphessobrycon erythrozonus (leftover from a group)
10x Poecilocharax weitzmani
03x Dicrossus filamentosus

Water parameters
pH: 6.0
KH: <1
GH: <3
EC: <90
NH3/4: 0
N02: 0
NO3: <10
PO4: <1

Short description
Obviously, the tank is based on some blackwater creeks and pools. If I'm right, all the fish species (perhaps except the erythrozonus) are found in the upper Rio Negro and upper Orinoco basins.

It would be nice to probably have one or two extra species, if possible. Any thoughts on that? What species should be considered (if we bear in mind it should be upper Negro/Orinoco species)?

A few thoughts I already had myself:
- Laetacara fulvipinnis
- Apistogramma uaupesi (one of the shops here in the Netherlands has uaupesi "Sao Gabriel" mentioned on its stocklist)
- Apistogramma iniridae
- Copella nattereri

Would any of this fit and make good tankmates for the current stocking?
Should I wait for the Nannostomus marginatus to be extinct (what age do they reach) in the tank before adding the Copella?
Is an Apistogramma species a good match with the Poecilocharax and Dicrossus? What about the Laetacara?

Any thoughts are welcome!

DutchyIvo

oh, I discovered I failed to mention another thing: at first, the idea was to keep a group of Dicrossus filamentosus.
Would that be an option? How many males/females? Is it a 'problem' to add smaller specimens, of possibly another 'type' (Orinoco vs. Negro form)?

So, a few questions alltogether ;)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It would be nice to probably have one or two extra species, if possible.
It is a really nice tank, and it depends what you want, but I think you have too many fish already really, you aren't going to get successful spawning from any of them.

Cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….