• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown plant

Nain

5 Year Member
I recently set up a small breeder tank and put in some water sprite. Recently I noticed a different plant growing amongst the water sprite. The unknown plant floats at the top and is a tangled mass of finely branched filaments. The diameter of each of the branch filaments is about twice the diameter of a human hair. It is most definitely not riccia or java moss. I have both in other tanks. At the tip of the newest branches are very tiny circular leaflets about the diameter of a pencil lead. The plant looks ideal as a spawning grass for killies. The plant looks like a tangled bunch of fishing line with no growth orientation related to either light or the bottom. It does not attach to whatever it touches. The plant is coloured a little bit lighter than the water sprite, almost a lime green.

Does anyone know what this is?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That might be a type of bladderpod. If you can get a closer look at the leaves, see if they are shaped like little cups or pouches.

Bladderpod is a 'carnivorous plant' that traps zooplankton in the pouches. Neat plants...

2la

5 Year Member
Could also be bladderwort, Utricularia gibba, maybe...?

h14.jpg

If you ever don't want it in your tank, good luck getting rid of it! It's much like riccia in that regard.

2la

5 Year Member
Actually, Ted, Lesquerella gordonii is more commonly associated with "bladderpod" amongst botanists. Not sure how the common names (which suck, IMHO :wink: ) hold up in aquarium circles, but bladderpod is not one I've heard around these parts before. Oh well, at least we now know we're referring to the same plant...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….