• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Treatment of new plants

fishgeek

i was vague because all i have read suggest that 5% of household bleach is needed

though what is the standard concentraion of household bleach?
is there one?
i hvae done plants at no particularly accurate measurements of time nor concentration and have found that if you dont knock all the algae back then at least you weaken it and oto's shrimp and the like tend to eat it more readily

if you leave plants to long you will daage them aswell

have the dip ffor 3 minutes on stem plants and then rinse in water then stand in a solution of dechlor before returning to tanks

andrew

aspen

5 Year Member
i have treated with 1/20 household bleach to water and with 1/50 solutions, and i haven't had any problems with the 1/50 treatment. a 5 min 1/50 bleach dip will kill anything afaik. with delicate pants you are taking your own risks.

i pour 3 buckets of water the same temp and use the 1st as the bleach dip, and the next 2 as rinsing tanks. you don't need to shock the plants any more than you have to by moving them into a different temp water. the 3rd bucket has de-chlor in the water.

rick

L

lhforbes

I think Rick gave a very good answer, and this is a good way to both sanitizie and rid plants of algae. Another way is to put your plants in a potassium permaganate dip, this is a little safer to fragile plants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….