• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To remove or not to remove?

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Well... here goes!!

I've got a trio of A. macmasteri rednecks, or had a trio!!

The male is dying of what seems to be old age. I've had him for close to two years, and he was nearly fully grown when I got him.

But before his old age kicked in, he had one heck of a time with the two females!! Both came out the same day with free swimmers.

Now here where the subject comes in effect.
As I wish to keep this strain here, and the females have had no luck raising the fry successfully, should I remove both females and try to raise the fry myself?

I usually prefer to let the females raise their fry themselves, no matter how many tries it takes! I raise the fry by myself only if I have no choice!

Thanks for your sugestions and comments on this particular case!!

Neil

_BaDgUy_,

When you loose your male, you need to pull (at least) some of the fry if you want to continue to work with the species and are not sure of the females' willingness to do her job! I would syphon out some of the fry from one of the females and raise them in seperate quarters. I wouldn't be suprised if you get one of the 2 females successfully raising the fry this time either. Sometimes their desire to perpetuate their species increases with the death of their mate. But don't take any chances.

Good luck,
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….