• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This water ok?

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
I've just set up a new planted community tank and I'm wondering if the water parameters are good. I've been keeping A.cacatuoides for a while but would like to try a new species now, as well as some hatchetfish, rummynose and some of the more delicate cories. I haven't added peat or anything yet, and I don't have the co2 set up yet; just straight RO water from my imperfect RO system. For Breeding I have some small tanks which will be kept directly behind the display and filled with water from the main tank.

ph: 7.4
kh: 71.6 ppm or 4 german degrees
gh:not detectable
nitrate/nitrite:not dectable
ammonia:not detectable

Corie =^..^=

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The pH should come down eventually, but I believe that at 7.4 it is too high for blackwater species. Many Rummy-nose Tetras have wasted away in that kind of water. My suggestion is to wait until the pH is slightly below 7 before adding these types of fish. Remember, adding peat to a planted tank will reduce the light available to the plants to a gread degree.

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
lowering the ph

Thanks Mike.

I'll make sure to wait until it comes down before adding the more delicate species. Strangely, the ph is the same as my straight "liquid rock" tap water, even after going through the RO. I know I can get it down to at least 7 once the co2 goes on. I've used peat successfully in the past, and have never been able to grow foreground plants, something I'm bent and determined on now.

I'm not really warm to the ph down products, as I don't like using a lot of chemicals. Anyone know any other ways to get it down?

Corie =^..^=

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you are getting water with approximately 4º dKH from your R/O unit, then something is wrong. Either you have a partially exhausted membrane or are pumping water through it too fast. Still, pH and hardness are not locked together. I expect that you can easily get it below pH 7 by using CO2 or peat filtered water.

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,

I'm going to get some co2 going in the next few days and hopefully things will start coming together. I know there is something wrong with my ro system, that's why I reffered to it as 'imperfect' hehe. I'm pretty sure there is a hole or something in the membrane, and I need a new one. On the bright side, I no longer have to add a little tap water to get a little kh :)

Cheers
Corie =^..^=

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….