• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank Capacity

Killi

I have an "aqua 620", I think about 115 litres, small gravel substrate, lots rocks, few caves plant on driftwood, floating plant +. I have two Blue Rams and female betta. Want to focus on Dwarf Cichlids and Killifish. Can anyone give me an idea of stocking capacity for above tank with Dwarf Cichlids
Regards
Killi

MonteSS

620 is 62x39x62 90L
620T is 62x39x72 130L

Both are pretty small footprint. I would not reccomend any more than one pair of dwarf cichlids.

...Bill

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
It depends on the Apistogramma species. They vary in size, whether they are pair or harem spawning species, the maximum size and relative aggression.

I have successfully kept trios of Apistogramma borelli in aquariums about 16 X 8 X 8 inches ~4.5 gal/~17 liters. Each female spawned, took care of her respective broods of fry while the male covered the entire tank. So to me, a 90 to 130 liter tank seems like plenty of room for the majority of Apistogramma whether they form pairs or are set up in a small harem.
You may even be able to keep a small school of a peaceful Pencifish species like Nannostomus eques or Nannostomus marginatus or a small school of Marble Hatchetfish.

I more often use 10 US gal tanks to 20 gal Long tanks.
I usually use only pairs in a 10 gal whether they are harem types or not but in the larger 20 long I may use 2 trios of the same species. Sometimes I prefer to use a 20 long for a pair or trio if I intend to leave the fry in with the parent until they are ready to spawn again.

For further reference 10 US gal +~37.5 liters.

There is no one right method. This is true of keeping any species for breeding whether they are Apistogramma, one of the Dwarf Corydoras species or non- cannibalistic, egg hanging Killiefish. I often use permanent breeding colonies for many species of fish from these groups. When I use that method I prefer to use a larger tank. I can produce hundreds of Corydoras hastatus along with Cherry or Yellow Shrimp per year in a 20 Long(75 liters)tank. This is one of the most useful sized tanks for keeping and breeding Apistogramma when planning to use natural brood care.
I recommend generally to use the largest foot print possible for a given volume of water a tank holds for Apistogramma. Avoid using small foot print, tall tanks.
If I plan to raise the Apistogramma fry by removing the eggs to a separate hatching and starter tank I tend to use 10 gal tanks for pairs of Apistogramma. Some Apistogramma breeders who prefer to mass produce them using permanent colonies use 125 gal tanks that are 6 feet long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….