• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. joka

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I am baby sitting a group of Tilapia joka for Steve Thornton until he returns to Kansas in 1 1/2 years. Today I noticed that one of the pairs has spawned. I remember Steve telling me that joka are bad parents, but so far the female (and to some extent the male) is doing a good job defending the eggs. So, what's the advice -- pulling or not pulling the eggs?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll be splitting my group of joka soon...to many of them in the tank and the breeding has become VERY infrequient.

If the pair is by themselves or just with dithers they should take care of the fry for a while. I even had a little one grow up in the tank full of adults and is now a member of the group. I did pull most of it's sibling to raise seperately just to be safe.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm guessing at 2-3 days when the temps are near 80F. I seldom get to see the eggs and just go on howthe parents are acting.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Based on Jeff's comments and a couple of emails from Steve T., I decided to pull the eggs and hatch them in a tumbler. I think it was the right decision. A few eggs were fungused but I have a decent number of eggs that are doing well, with wrigglers hatching.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!

What kind of "tumbler" do you use please? I have a pair of joka, which spawned numerous times, resulting in hatching only twice : 1st 1 week before I moved (the larvae didn't make it during the travel), and the second time the larvae just spread apparently uncontrolled in the whole tank, the parents being unable to gather them enough.

Therefore I'm thinking of stealing the eggs next time. T. joka is very rare in France (I think we are 2 or 3 people keeping them), I'm fond of this fish and I really wanna breed them, so any insights on artificial hatching techniques would be welcome :)

Thanks in advance! ;)

EDIT : a few pics of my pair added :

744F26E8BE399AAE2D5445290E137FC7_full.jpg

83DD14087702C1A8B5E90F759C3B9819_full.jpg

5F593CD5D5F06FA4B10F56D7322162D6_full.jpg

7A500A87CDB1FFCFAA857C41B8931374_full.jpg

128E60DA6C86C41894AF7CC3AB7862CB_full.jpg

94F74ACC505C587081C2DE7145241B54_full.jpg

DBAE544E8F96552EB22D7DD5952DE7F6_full.jpg

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Nothing special, just the type that you find on aquabid very regularly. I set the valve to allow for a low flow rate, just enough to have the eggs bounce very gently. Tomorrow I will take a picture to ilustrate what i do once the fry are free swimming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….