• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sudden death of A. cacatuoides

A

ac82

I was wondering whether anyone has any idea why my male cacatuoides would suddenly die for no apparent reason?

I have had this fish for a few months now and he has been doing well and has growning steadily since I first got him. He's always been eating regularly and hasn't shown any signs of ill health and I was shocked to find him dead at the bottom of the tank this evening.

I have a community tank with cardinals, glass catfish, corys, hatchetfish. The pH is 6.5 and the is less than 0.3mg Nitrite in the tank. All the other fish are in good health.

Any suggestions?

blueblue

5 Year Member
ac82 said:
I was wondering whether anyone has any idea why my male cacatuoides would suddenly die for no apparent reason?

I have had this fish for a few months now and he has been doing well and has growning steadily since I first got him. He's always been eating regularly and hasn't shown any signs of ill health and I was shocked to find him dead at the bottom of the tank this evening.

I have a community tank with cardinals, glass catfish, corys, hatchetfish. The pH is 6.5 and the is less than 0.3mg Nitrite in the tank. All the other fish are in good health.

Any suggestions?

Apistos sometimes died without any obvious reasons... but several
probable causes include the following:
1. poisoning: medicine, chemicals, metals...
2. hidden diseases: Fish Tuberculosis which leads to expanded belly and sudden death.
3. suffocation: Insufficient oxygen.
4. food problem: For fish such as Eliza, if we feed them with a lot of bbs which include the unhatched eggs, Eliza may died owing to a congestion
problem inside its intestine...

Roach

5 Year Member
I'm having a similar prob with my male caca. Alright one day, listless and cowering in the dark the next. Been two days now and is showing swelling to his "lips" and mouth.
I have just removed a bag of peat and done a few water changes so I'm putting it down to a bit of ph shock. He is the only one in the tank that has shown any adverse reactions though. His company includes four juvie discus, bristlenose, etc.

Roach

5 Year Member
Just thought of another question. This time regarding a female caca although probably not gender related.

Female caca, 18-24 months old, successful spawings although really crap mother. The back half of her body went extremely dark and eventually went almost black whilst her head and front half remained normal. She stayed this way for about a week with fairly normal behaviour then suddenly died.

I was thinking either she was just old and bit the bullet OR she may have been egg bound. All water parameters were fine except maybe the ph which was 4.8 but this had been this way for many months with no complaints or deaths in about 6 months.

What do fish look like when they get egg bound?

fishgeek

sounds like neural tumour or some other space occupying lesion pressing on the nerve to the caudal area of the fish
colouration is neurohormonal contolled and discrete area's of darkening are almost always nerve related
if the scales where erect in the are then melanoma maybe the cause

although apisto's live in soft water which is very calcium low i dont believe they(nor any other fish) suffer from dystocia/egg binding problems - others thoughts?

as for the male , water quality must be check - non specific listless apisto's are tyical of ammonia/nitrate etc probs
ph drops with peat addition would likely cause the fis to dart about rather than be lethargic
swollen lips sounds like columnaris infection or mouth fungus(it is actually a bacterial disease)

Roach

5 Year Member
I put in a dose of Bactonex last night and he seemed to get excited by the blue fog coming thru the water. He swam around a little bit then went back to his hiding spot. He was still there this morning and he looked a tiny bit better. The fingers are crossed very tightly.

Thanks for the feedback

Roach

5 Year Member
Add to the fatality list 1 beautiful male Agassizi and 1 male nijsseni.
I haven't got a clue what's going on in there but all the fellas are dropping like flies.
I won't really miss the nijsseni but I had big plans for the aggie and the caca

fishgeek

posting your water parameters
describing fish behaviour , appetite posture colouration etc
describing stool quality and frequency
describing any particular lesions

all of these will help us give some advice to help you understand

andrew

Roach

5 Year Member
I've had more fatalities but none showing the same symptoms as the male Caca (swollen mouth)
Female nijsseni died yesterday, two female cacs died a few days ago but only one body has turned up.
All the water parameters seem to be OK, ph 6.2 no amm and no nitrites.
All remaining occupants appear to be unaffected touch wood

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….