• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

subocellatus

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I've had good results with pulcher & taeniatus. My local shop has a load of subocellatus and I think I'll get a pair. Are they similar in requirements?

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Hello Mummy,

Yes, the requirements for Pelvicachromis subocellatus are similar to that of P. pulcher and P. taeniatus. All three species are cave spawners, do well in soft, acidic water, and are closely associated with aquatic plants.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

westafrica

5 Year Member
Once again I agree with Randall. I'd only add a detail : The gender of the fry varies with pH : the more acid your water is, the more females you get, and the balance pH rate varies for the different species (haven't you noticed that there were often a significant difference between the number of males and females in your shops' tanks?..). For the subocellatus, this balance males/females seems to situate around a pH of 6.2. For the pulcher, it's rather 6.7, and for the taeniatus it depends on the local forms.

That's all I can add!

Westafrica

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Thank you both for your replies.

The form of taeniatus I have is "Moliwe". I have had several broods and am on the third generation from wild. All the broods have had roughly equal numbers of males and females. My water is around pH 7.

My N. anomala, on the other hand, always have more females than males. The ratio is about 6:4. I always have odd females left to try and sell!

There is an auction this weekend at which I'm selling the last of my ramirezi and badis. This will give me some tank space to try the subocellatus.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!
The moliwe is one of the most beautiful color forms of taeniatus. But here in France, the fish sold as "moliwe" are often hybrids (refer to any relible "type" photography you can find to ensure that you realy bought genuine "moliwe" taeniatus).

Concerning the Nanacara I Lack experience... But good luck for the subocellatus! Keep us informed (about the color form you've found and bought, your experience with this species, the behaviour you could observ, and the price of course!).

Westafrica

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
westafrica said:
Hi!
The moliwe is one of the most beautiful color forms of taeniatus. But here in France, the fish sold as "moliwe" are often hybrids (refer to any relible "type" photography you can find to ensure that you realy bought genuine "moliwe" taeniatus).

Here is a male:
taeniatusmale.jpg

Here is a female:
taeniatusfemale.jpg

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I went ahead and got a pair of subocellatus 'Moanda'. Already they have fry. I think of the three species of pelvicachromis I have kept so far, these are the most docile.

subocellatus_female_withfry.jpg

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!

You seem to be lucky : to my mind, your fish are genuine moliwe, so keep taking care of them! I wish I could get some... Bloody French! :frown:

And thanks for your picture of the moanda : I had only found three or four (bad) pictures of this form on the web until now. I was wondering to which extent they were different from the matadi, and in fact they are very very close, so much that I can hardly tell in what the difference exactly consists, even thiough I can see that it isn't a matadi on your picture. Maybe the color of the dorsal fin (more gold than silver) and the shape of the body (more round for the moanda).

Good luck with these wonderful fish!

Westafrica

Xanathos

5 Year Member
westafrica said:
Hi!
I was wondering to which extent they were different from the matadi

If I may add, the female's red belly color is surrounded by gold and silver lines instead of the usual black color...

IMO, the Moanda are much more beautiful then the original Matadi form.

They also requiere soft to very soft water to breed, unlike Matadis.

Phil

brad

5 Year Member
What were the water conditions you were able to breed them at? How long did it take? I assume the courtship and breeding were typical fashion, similar to that of pulcher?

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
brad said:
What were the water conditions you were able to breed them at? How long did it take? I assume the courtship and breeding were typical fashion, similar to that of pulcher?
Yes, similar to P. pulcher. Perhaps less obvious breeding activity apart from a brief period (only a couple of hours) when the female became really dark and showy. After that the female hid away under a root (she didn't use my expertly placed clay pipe) for a few days (about 10 days all told) before appearing with a cloud of hungry fry. They do not show any aggression to either tank mates or themselves. With both pulcher and taeniatus I had to remove the dither fish and eventually remove the males in this 2ft tank as they were squabbling over the fry.
I use my water unaltered as it's fairly good out of the tap. Neutral pH, and only 1-2 degrees of KH & GH. Temp is 76F.

Randall

5 Year Member
Photos

Hello Boupette,

The links in your message take me to a screen asking me to create a MSN account.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….