• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus mix

flavit

I am setting up a 6 foot 125G and am considering the following fish, wondering if anyone feels there may be compatability issues. I currently have in separate tanks, steatocranus irvinei - 1M - 3-4" + 1F and in another tank steatocranus tinanti - 6 pieces all in the 2-3" range. My plan was to put these together in the 125 (6' x 18" footprint) along with a group of congo tetras and some riverine synodontis.
Does anyone see any potential issues with this list, specifically the steatocranus? There will be lots of filtration, lots of rockwork and 2-3 powerheads to get some major flow happening across the length of the tank.
Any thoughts / feedback would be welcome.
Al

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

I do not see a problem with the mix. Steatocranus are all territorial, but your tanks is large and the numbers are small... until they breed. However, S. irvinei grows much larger than S. tinanti, and eventually the smaller fish will lose out during confrontations.

flavit

Ted, any thoughts / experience on the potential for hybridization between the two - is there enough physical difference between the two to minimize it?? I guess that the synos in the tank may also make it irrelevant??

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I highly doubt the two Steatocranus would cross breed. There has been talk for a while about S. irvinei being moved to it's own genus as it is so different then the other current Steatocranus spp. The size along makes it a stand out as well as it's much more aggressive nature.

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….