• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus irvinei

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I sure hope not! I still have about 100 irvinei to pass on to other hobbyists! It's great to see the irvinei being more widely available in the hobby. They sure are great fish to watch.

Janos

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope that we are going to discover that the tank - raised irvinei are not as brutal as the wild fish are.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
My wild-caught was indeed pretty aggressive. I keep them in a 40G breeder. I introduced the female to the male by keeping her in a small plastic tank inside the 40G for about a week before releasing her into the main tank. This seemed to work well but after about 2 weeks the male started beating up the female and I had to transfer her back into the small plastic tank for another 10 days. Shortly after being released the second time, the pair spawned. It sounds like Jeff and you have the luxury to have fish pick their mates from a small group of juvies.

Wingsrule

5 Year Member
I had another spawn from the second pair that numbered about 150...combine that with the 60-70 left from the first spawn, I might have trouble getting rid of these too.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You need.... HEMICHROMIS FREMPONGI !!!!!! They are AWESOME for overpopulation problems. I fed mine a spawn of about 400 H. elongatus today. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….