• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

species suggestions..

firetank

5 Year Member
hi all,

i have a new 30g to stock, and want to go with a pair\trio of S.A. dwarves..

these are the species held at my lfs currently..
nannacara anomala..
apist. agassiz
apist. pandurin
apisto cacatuoiides..
apisto jurense
apisto njisenni
apisto hongsloi
checkerboard cichlid

my water is nice and acidic\soft (ph 6.2, kh barely registering)
and i am currently breeding anomalochromis thomasi, and pelviachromis pulcher..

any suggestions for which species to go for??

Neil

firetank,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Well you have 2 things going for you right from the start; Your water and your LFS are excellent! 8O
The species that you choose to work with depends alot on what you like as far as the looks of the fish. All of the fish that you mention are breedable in your water, with the exception of the Dicrossus filamentosa (if that is what the checkerboard stands for).
There are numerous strains of several of the fish that you mention here, so here is my suggestion: Buy the one that has the nicest looking male (that should be a species that you can easily sex), is outwardly healthy and active, and that generally strikes you as being your favorite. You have bred 2 Dwarf Cichlids already and you have good water. The emphasis should not be on what is the easiest (especially in a 30g. It should be on what you are going to have the most fun with and enjoy the most.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Neil

firetank

5 Year Member
thanks neil....

as they'll all appreciate my water, the jurense look like sure fire certs...

what parameters do the dicrossus need for breeding??

thanks

Neil

I have only had success with the fish actually getting free-swimmers when the pH was below 5 and the water was almost pure RO (very low hardness). Lot of egg-laying at other times, but no hatching. Eggs need very soft, acidic water to hatch.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
firetank said:
nannacara anomala..
apist. agassiz
apist. pandurin
apisto cacatuoiides..
apisto jurense
apisto njisenni
apisto hongsloi
checkerboard cichlid

Dear Firetank,

Welcome!

What an impressive list! My compliments to your LFR.

Neil and I are on the same page here. Please select the most robust, healthy looking and well formed fish that you can. Just be careful not to overdo it. A 30-gallon tank should comfortably accomodate two of the above species.

Like Neil suggests, Dicrossus filamentosa can be quite delicate and seem to prefer extremely soft acidic water. Apistogramma pandoro and A. nijsenni are of the same species group and share some similar features and coloration. Please know that they also tend to be more aggressive than most Apistos. A. agassizi, A. cacatuoides, A. juruensis and A. hongsloi, on the other hand, tend to a more mild temperment. Nannacara anomala is one of my personal favorites and, unlike the Apistos, tends to concealed spawning but is not an overt cave spawner. After spawning, however, the male may have to be removed, if the tank is not well planted enough. Brooding female N. anomala are relentless male chasers.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

firetank

5 Year Member
thanks guys, just what i was after..

looks like the dicrossus go onto the same project page as breeding
nannochromis transvestitus......

another thought - i have another well planted 35g with a trio of Keyholes, small school of black neons and a featherfin syno...

would latacara dorsiger, apisto agassiz or even cacat. be a compatible tank mate here????

thanks

Randall

5 Year Member
firetank said:
another thought - i have another well planted 35g with a trio of Keyholes, small school of black neons and a featherfin syno...

would latacara dorsiger, apisto agassiz or even cacat. be a compatible tank mate here????

Sure! Any of the three would be just fine.

Good luck with them. All are beautiful and interesting.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….