• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sp pebas morado or no

shoshone

Hello,

I would like to know if this fish is sp pebas morado;

Can you help me please ?

20710.jpg

08610.jpg

08510.jpg

Thank you for your help

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't say if it is A. sp. Pebas. None of the diagnostic black marking are visible. Try to photograph the fish while caught in a net. That should make him show his fright pattern. Do you have photos of the female?

shoshone

Hello,

I have caught the male this morning, not easy seen when my receptacle is reinforced of various branches, roots and pebbles. It was sports!!!
Veils photographs taken after capture.
What do you think ?
pebas, eunotus, caetei, or other one ?

06410.jpg

06310.jpg

06210.jpg

06810.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female shows the caudal blotch typical for A. sp. Pebas. The male's blotch isn't as distinct, but everything else seems to be right for Pebas. Are these wild fish?

shoshone

Hello,

after some hours of researches and with the help nice persons, we think that the male is a cf eunotus spaltenfleck or a wangelflecken. What do you think of it?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think that the male is Spaltenfleck and the male looks too large for Wangenflecken (if the female is full grown). It doesn't show scale deformities of hybrid species either. It probably is Pebas with an odd caudal spot.

shoshone

An other nice person, think who this male is a caetei.

I have again a doubt because this person is one of the best in apistogramma identification in my country.

Then according to you, possible or not ?

I have two more questions : pebas he can hybridize themselves with caetei or eunotus ?

Which is it accurate description of pebas ? I find her nor on the net nor on the books in my possession.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, the black markings are not those of A. caetei. The caudal pattern is more prominent and more extensive on caetei-complex fish than on your fish. The markings actually look very much like those of a population of A. taeniata. This species is relatively small and rarely seen in the hobby. How long is your male? Both A. taeniata and A. sp. Pebas belong to the regani-group but to different complexes (A. taeniata = resticulosa-complex; A. sp. pebas = eunotus-complex). They might breed together, but they are so distantly related that it is unlikely that the fry would be viable.

shoshone

Thank you mike,all becomes clear.

My male makes seven centimeters.

I don't think that is a taeniata because the blotch on this head are red for my male.

more one time, thank's a lot

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. taeniata almost never grows to 7cm. My guess is that the male is A. sp. Pebas that displays an odd caudal patch. Changes in markings are not uncommon on domestic bred fish.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….