• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Somebody got some experience with the Nannacara anomala?

chris1805

5 Year Member
I have some problems with my nannacara couple, to be more specific i got problems with my male..
When is bought my couple nannacara there was nothing wrong everything was fine, but after 1.5 month my nannacara male got every demanding and chased his female till the death. I thought the problem was i had to less hiding spots so i added some extra plants to create some more hiding spots. After the plants where in for like 2 weeks to make sure they were growing i bought a new female 2 days ago. But he is still chasing this one like he did at his first female after 1.5 month, does somebody have an idea what i could do about this?

Thanks already :)

Chris

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nannacara anomala are a polygamous species. If your tank is large enough it is best to have 2 or more females. Once the females have fry, however, they become very aggressive toward males (or any other fish) in their brood territory.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hmm you sure? couldn't find anything about that on the internet and they told me in the shop a couple would be fine. I am not sure if my tank is big enough to hold an other female. My tank size is 60cmx40cm at bottom and 60cm high but that does not really matter for dwarfciclids. Do you think my tank is big enough to hold a second female?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Every fish is an individual and some will behave differently than what is typical. Nannacara anomala was the first dwarf cichlid I reproduced, back in 1977. I have had the species breed for me dozens of times since then. I have had them successfully raise fry together in everything from 5 gallons (don't recommend at all!) to 20 gal. long. I have had males and females live peacefully together, both as pairs and trios. I have had females kill other males and females. I've had males kill other males and females. I even had a male take over brood care when the female died. He even took on a pale imitation of the females' lattice brood pattern. IMHO your male is ready to find a mate who is ready to breed. Your female doesn't seem ready. In this case the male will try to drive her away in hopes of finding a female(s) ready to breed with him. Adding extra female(s) will spread the males 'eagerness' over more than one female. A 60x40 cm tank should be able to house 2 females with separate brood territories if the tank is properly decorated to provide separate territories. A properly decorated tank should lessen aggression even with just your 2 present fish.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for helping me out on this Mike :) today the male was less aggressive to my female and things are going in the right direction. I will see how it goes for like 3 more days, if needed i will buy some more plants and wood and try to create 2 separate territories and ofcourse buy another female.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Heey mike,

I just wanted to let you know that everything is fine with my nannacara's now. You were indeed right my male just wanted the female to lay eggs and guess what! it happend! :D
Here you see the photo of my nannacare female in front of her coconut where the eggs are in :)
(i hope my photo is alright and not to big or anything couldn't check the size or something.)

nannacara vrouw.jpg

Attachments

• nannacara vrouw.jpg
    nannacara vrouw.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 418

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….