• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slate cave sizes for Dwarfs

Zoban

5 Year Member
Below is a cave I make for smaller Plecos and such with internal dimensions or 5-1/2"x1-1/2"x1-1/4".

slate1.jpg

Any suggestions on the ideal internal dimensions for Cockatoos and/or Blue Rams?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rams are not cave spawners. Most apistos prefer openings that are just large enough for the female to enter. 1 x 1 x 3" caves are quite sufficient.

Zoban

5 Year Member
I must be missing something here..

If the entrance is just big enough for the female then how does the male get into to do his job? or does he?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
He rests outside the cave entrance and fans his sperm into the cave. In larger caves the male will enter & "do his thing", but once the job is done females will try to plug the entrance to the cave with sand, leaves or anything else they can move. The much prefer small narrow entrances that they can just shimmy into.

Zoban

5 Year Member
Okay that makes sence then.

Thank you for your responces and clarification.

May toy around with a 3x2x1 but close the door so to speak to be 1x1ish.

Sound like a plan or would it be a waste?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(