• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing young apistogramma cacatuides?

sahenson21

Good morning!

We have several spawns of apistos growing out, but I am finding it difficult to sex the young fish. What are the best signs to look for to know for sure that it is male/female?

We have them in growout tanks, so I am always worried that there will be sub-males that appear to be female. I am also just not confident picking out young females at all.

Please help!

MacZ

It's 3 in the afternoon, but hello! :)

Are they domestic fish? (Colour breeds?) If so this is not the easiest, as by now females have been bred to look almost like males including fin colouration and shapes.

Generally: Under 4cm it's virtually only guessing.

sahenson21

Thank you for the response! They're triple reds if that helps.

What are the first things to look for to differentiate them as they get to that 4cm mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it's guarding eggs/fry then it's a female. Stupid I know but true and couldn't help myself. In all honesty if you can't sex them then there is no easy way to sex them. One option is to put all the fish in 1 tank and remove males to another tank as they become obvious. The problem with this is that there have been indications that apisto females can possibly change to males in the absence of males.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….