• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Saying goodbye to an old friend

Cowboy

5 Year Member
I have a F0 male cacatuoides that I obtained from Ray McCaleb a couple years ago. I imagine that this fish is at least 2 1/2 to 3 years old. He has recently lost his nice yellow and blue color and is no longer interested in the three females with whom he shares his tank.

I would like him to live out his days in comfort, so he is eating well and I have not introduced a new male to take is place. I miss the way he would flare up at his reflection and the intense nature of his courting behavior. He is a good fish and the reason I enjoy working with apistos.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cowboy I have lost two apistos that I've felt the same way about--BTW if you are using F0 trying to mean they are wild its not correct, F1 is second generation tank raised and wild is wild

Cowboy that guy might even be descended from some of mine--Ray got a bunch of cacs from me about that time

Cowboy

5 Year Member
Thanks Dave,

Yes, I guess I was trying to say he is wild. I have been using F0 for a long time. I appreciate the correction.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
It is sad when they go, but dwarfs don't live very long lives. Nice that you have not replaced him yet. You could pull one or two of the females and put them with a new male ;)

My male C is pretty old as well, not sure of the age, but he was huge when I got him a year ago. He still spawns and I have a few fry right now of his. The female died about 6 months ago so I put some of his daughters in with him. He doesn't flare up as often as he did, but someone was over buying some BN plecos from me and he was showing off so much that they got some of the apisto juvies at the same time.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
apistodave said:
-BTW if you are using F0 trying to mean they are wild its not correct, F1 is second generation tank raised and wild is wild-

Actually, in scientific circles, f-numbers only refer to the number of generations from a specific pair: F1 are first generation from a pair, F2 are offspring from F1, etc. The original pair may be wild or domestic, depending on the experiment. That being said, we in the hobby seem to have assumed that F1 means first generation from wild specimens & F0 (which does not exist) means wild specimens. I guess as long as we explain what we are talking about (i.e. F1 from wild fish), it doesn't really matter that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….