• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Repashy SuperFoods!!!!!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Everyone... for the past few months I have been testing a new line of fish foods being presented next week by Allen Repashy. If you are into reptiles, especially geckos, you probably recognize the name. These foods are gel foods that I believe will change the way we think about feeding fish. Unlike gelatin or agar gel foods, the plant gelling agents Allen uses do not require boiling for a period of time before they set, which means that the vitamin and nutritional value of the food is not lost as much as it is with other high-heat produced food (including flake and pellet). The only fish in my room that do not eat this stuff are the pipe fish... but it I could get it to wiggle I bet they would. I have a trio of wild A. sp. 'Blackchin' that eat the gel, and so do all my west African cichlids. I posted a video about it on my blog site. Check it out: www.tedsfishroom.com

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It would be nice to have a prepared food that my very picky apistos will eat as a suppliment to bbs. Looking at the prices, feeding mostly bbs would be less expensive.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I agree the price is on the high side, however it probably provide a more balance diet. I am giving it a try for sure (I mean for my fish).

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, the price is higher than a lot of other foods, but it is on par with other high quality foods like Xtreme. But the proof is in the results... fish eat this stuff! I do not feed it as a staple diet. I still rely on live foods, but in the tests I have done the Repashy is performing as well as live foods (solely by my observations). I have been feeding it to my cory cats and I am still getting good numbers of eggs, whereas before the Epashy food I would not get many eggs unless I fed black worms. Repashy is cheaper than black worms!

Also, since the food lasts a long time in water you can feed less of it. I compared feeding Repashy gel by volume to feeding Xtreme pellets. I used a tsp to scoop out a sample of Repashy and fed it to a tank with about 30 1/2" cichlid fry. The fry grazed on that food for 12 hours. 1 tsp of Xtreme (on a different day), was gobbled up in a few minutes. 12 hours later the fish could eat that amount again. For me, the BIG value in the gel is being able to match a more natural feeding mechanism... a little bit all day long instead of gorging 2-3 times a day.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Ted, I didn't catch it in your video, if it was there. How many ounces were in the 2 cups you used? What was the proportion of that to the quantities offered?
So, if you used 2 cup, how many ounces of the powder would that be? (Trying to determine the cost/benefit).
Thanks.

*EDIT*
I'm an idiot. One cup = 8 oz.
So, in your video, one cup of the stuff makes approximately how many 1" square cubes?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
2oz of the formula makes 2 pounds of food. I just measured the weight of one of those molds of food I made in the video (I did not realize that I had a food scale, until I saw it in a cabinet this morning). The 2/3 cup of food I used in the video made about 12 oz of gel. Please understand that I have not gotten a measured packet of the powder yet. Allen is packaging the food for sale right now. All my samples were just scoops of food sent to me to work with. I use the prescribed mixing ratio, so the 2/3 cup I used in the video is LESS than 2 oz of food mix. I think that it I filled those deli cups to their rim, each would weigh 8 oz (1/2 pound). So a 2 oz packet should be able to make 4 of those 1/2# blocks.

When I cut that mold I make 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" blocks (roughly.... the mold is round). I get about 30 full-size blocks out of that. Some tanks get part of a block, others get multiple blocks. That 1/2# feeds my entire fish room ONCE.

Cost analysis of this food compared to a flake or powder will never make it cheap. At $4/oz (the most expensive way to buy it) plus shipping (though I am now including shipping on orders of $75+), the cost of one of those 1/2# blocks of food would cost $2-3 (shipping included). At the 64oz size including shipping, the cost per ounce drops to $1.30/oz... or $.65/half pound of finished gel. At that cost, in my opinion, feeding the food as an every-other day staple is on par with feed Xtreme or NLS, but with the added benefits of the food being Repashy gel.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here is a more concise breakdown...

The cost for a 2oz packet of food is $8.00.... The cost for a 64 oz packet is $70.00.... Here is how the price per oz and per 1/2 pound (that deli cup) of food compares:

2 oz packet $8 = $4/oz = $2/half pound gel
4 oz packet $12 = $3/oz = $1.5/half pound gel
8 oz packet $20 = $2.5/oz = $1.25/half pound gel
16 oz packet $32 = $2/oz = $1/half pound gel
64 oz packet = $70 = $1.09/oz = $.545/half pound gel

If you need to pay shipping the cost goes up a but. I have changed the pricing structure on the website to include shipping on orders of $75+.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I got over 1000 ram fry in various freeswimming stages, I cant wait to try this on them.

prototop

5 Year Member
So which one is best for fry? The Community Plus or is there a mix in the works specifically for that purpose?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
For feeding fry? I use the Community Plus or the Soilent Green, depending upon species. I give the Com. Plus to those that need higher animal protein. You can also mix the formulas if you want.... such as adding some Meat Pie into another to boost the protein... but I have not seen a need to do that yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….