• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

regime for "cleaning" WC fish?

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
what is the best method for getting rid of parasites and other disease from wc fish?

I recently had a big problem, with a total loss of almost 10 fish after receiving a large order of WC tetra and Apistos (22 fish.) Some of these fish losses were in my existing tanks, that I (unfortunately!) mixed some wild fish with.

The various symptoms before deaths included: fungus/bacterial infestation, emaciation/loss of color, erratic swimming or disorientation before death. I also have noticed some black pepper size grains on the tail of my Apisto, which fortunately is still living.

I ordered from a Montreal based dealer who regularly imports WC fish. He claims that all fish were healthy before he exported them, BUT, does not mention cleaning them or using any meds before shipping. I am sure many of you know of this guy, since he has been mentioned to have some hard to find Apistos on this forum. I wonder what his reputation is with shipping "unclean" fish.

Please Advise! thanks

Apistt_ed

Hello Mike,
Sorry to hear that.
Did you keep these fish in quarantine tanks for an extended amount of time?!

Apistos bought, WC or from unknown sources, are more than sensitive to any kind of medication as most apistos are. The best things we can do is to screen these fish in a controlled environment to make sure that there aren't foreign parasites and diseases that may be present from the stresses of shipment or from the wild. Only the healthiest of fishes should be introduced to your established tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….