• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red rams

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi, the fish you have pictures of are sold all over the world as Gold rams, they are nothing particulary special or rare and are certainly not died. the quality can vary from place to place and over the years i have seen some outstanding specimens imported from Czech republic.

flashbang

The Gold Rams i kept over 20 years ago were all one colour of yellew gold but the fish i saw in the shop were distinctly half white and half a more redder gold colour.The photo i posted is as taken by my phone and shows the colour change exactly down the middle of the fish. Thanks for the replies.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It may be that these have been line bred to be particularly colourful, or it may be that they have been either:

1. hormone treated to enhance colour or
2. fed with a food rich in carotenoids.

I've been feeding my fish and shrimps with the Astaxanthin rich "Red crumb" (via TA Aquaculture in the UK), and it has made the Red Cherry shrimps extremely red in colour, to the extent that they now look like the Shakura colour form.

cheers Darrel

flashbang

HI
Thanks for the replies
My main point of the post was the distinct red front and white rear of the fish.
I have used "red crumb" from TA Aquaculture before and whilst a good food i think is expensive compared to Hikari Cichlid Gold and Cichlid Staple which i now use.

MonteSS

Since they are all males, it looks like they dont want anybody reproducing what they have line bred.

...Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….