• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red Crystal Shrimps

blueblue

5 Year Member
Red Crystal Shrimps :)

a1_182.jpg

a2_151.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Nice! They are much better than the ones which are available in Poland.
Show us whole tank, please! ^.^
BTW, do you use ADA Amazonia?! Or this is Amazonia II?

Piotr>>>

blueblue

5 Year Member
Nice! They are much better than the ones which are available in Poland.
Show us whole tank, please! ^.^
BTW, do you use ADA Amazonia?! Or this is Amazonia II?

Piotr>>>

Thanks Piotr ^.^
1. Some more photos are as shown below.
2. It is ADA Powder Soil...

aa1_153.jpg

aa3_166.jpg

Full tank's view
aa2_720.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
I regret i didn't buy some of these fellas last time in HK. they are not available here too :(

Well, look at it from another perspective, the price for this kind of shrimp is decreasing over time... for the quality in the photos, if you purchased them in 2005, you might need to pay Euro500 each. Now, in HK, the price is something like Euro$10 - Euro$60 each... next time when you stop by HK, the price will go down further (maybe Euro$5 to Euro $20).. hehhee ^_^

F

fearnespippin

Hi Blueblue

Lovely shrimp, and tank! In the top pic on your 1st post, it looks like there's a trapdoor snail (I think their latin name's Physa marmorata) on the glass?

Do you find these (or any other snails) east the shrimp eggs or larvae? Or the Otocinclus?

Cheers, Chris

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue

Lovely shrimp, and tank! In the top pic on your 1st post, it looks like there's a trapdoor snail (I think their latin name's Physa marmorata) on the glass?

Do you find these (or any other snails) east the shrimp eggs or larvae? Or the Otocinclus?

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris, i haven't observed any killing of the shrimps' larvae by these organisms... there is also no report on it in the local forums (P.S: This kind of shrimp is very popular in Hong Kong and so i believe that there is no observed
problem with these organisms kept together with these shrimps).

fishgeek

crs shrimp basically release small 5mm long ting shrimp and oto and snails are not an issue for them

mine are breeding with both cory pygmaeus and apsiodoras

andrew

blue have you young yet and what water parameters?
mine are in neutral medium softness Gh of about 10-12, it just that so much of the shrimp information i have read say's these like acidic soft water, keeping apsito's may give me a different idea of what acidic soft water is than other aquarists

blueblue

5 Year Member
crs shrimp basically release small 5mm long ting shrimp and oto and snails are not an issue for them

mine are breeding with both cory pygmaeus and apsiodoras

andrew

blue have you young yet and what water parameters?
mine are in neutral medium softness Gh of about 10-12, it just that so much of the shrimp information i have read say's these like acidic soft water, keeping apsito's may give me a different idea of what acidic soft water is than other aquarists

Hi Andrew, yes, i got some bb but not in this tank (this tank is newly setup). Here in HK, we adopt the professional advice from the renowned japanese breeders and there are tens of supplements we need in order to maintain the whiteness of the shrimps' shell (the price of those very white crs in Asia is hundreds to thousands times of the red ones!! They also focus on the patterns... e.g., there are some crs which are purely white with a Nike Tick on the head....)

The parameter in my tank is pretty soft (but not very soft), gH~10, and the pH is around 6 - 7, we add a lot of "standard" supplements like mineral rocks, japanese powders for calcium, and micro-organism supply, trace elements, de-N bacteria, and the substrate is also carefully selected. For my case, i use ADA powder soil which has been kept in a trial tank for 1 month with weekly exchange of 80% water ... for many other friends, they directly use the specialized soil for crs and then supplement with ADA powder soil gradually...

There are many theories on these little animals and from this perspective, i am just a beginner...

awth

5 Year Member
As I learned from a local CRS pro, blueblue, I think you know him too, he told me that the ideal water parameter is temp 22-24C, ph 6.2, kH 4-6, gH 4-5. In this water parameter, the crs can change shell sucessfully. Otherwise, they may suffer in shell-changing difficulites and eventually be attack to death by the other crs.

blueblue

5 Year Member
As I learned from a local CRS pro, blueblue, I think you know him too, he told me that the ideal water parameter is temp 22-24C, ph 6.2, kH 4-6, gH 4-5. In this water parameter, the crs can change shell sucessfully. Otherwise, they may suffer in shell-changing difficulites and eventually be attack to death by the other crs.

Thanks friend ^.^ for the tips. You know, i am just a humble beginner
in CRS and my goal is to keep some beautiful ones (not breeding) at the moment... It's why the tank is heavily planted ^_^

fishgeek

i find that most shrimp i have once settled are very hardy

i have red cherry shrip in almost straight r/o water sheeding and grwoing fine
the crystals and also bee shrimp breeding the water that i mentioned above

andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi andrew: Here, the key is for the shrimp to exhibit the true white and hard shell... for the common types of CRS (what we call A grade, B grade, C grade), the water quality is not that important. However, if we are keeping those high grade CRS, we need to be more careful :)

i find that most shrimp i have once settled are very hardy

i have red cherry shrip in almost straight r/o water sheeding and grwoing fine
the crystals and also bee shrimp breeding the water that i mentioned above

andrew

fishgeek

how do you feel that water parameters change colour?

or are you just suggesting that the higher grade shrimp are less resiliant?

andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
how do you feel that water parameters change colour?

or are you just suggesting that the higher grade shrimp are less resiliant?

andrew

A tremendous effort has been made by the experts on this kind of observation... :)
you may take a look at some interesting "top quality" specimens as follows:
It is not easy to maintain such a high level of white and thick shell for CRS...

http://aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/files/img_8713_152.jpg
(Source: angelyoyo)

http://images5.fotop.net/albums5/ivan68/shrimp/IMG_2223.jpg
(Source: Ivan)

http://aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/files/_____2263_149.jpg
(Source: WCK)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….