• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions from a new one

doczahi

5 Year Member
Hi
I'm just making my first breeding aquarium for A. caccaduides.
I read some info in the internet and found some confusing data regarding the water condition.
Can someone please tell me what should the water condition be?
And, from what I know it is better to have a minimal aquariom for breeding (minimal organic material, no gravel ecet), and that is for the better cleening abilities. Is it the case with Apisto's?
I'm sure I gonna have many more questions in the future, but that's all for now.
Thanks
Zahi

Neil

doczahi,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Hello from the US!

I'm just making my first breeding aquarium for A. caccaduides.

Great, but I should point out that it is spelled cacatuoides. You have chosen a good first apisto to work with.

Can someone please tell me what should the water condition be?

Slightly acidic and soft, if possible. About 6.5 to 7 pH and 2 to 4 ºGH and KH would work well. But they will spawn in higher and lower water values.

And, from what I know it is better to have a minimal aquariom for breeding (minimal organic material, no gravel ecet), and that is for the better cleening abilities. Is it the case with Apisto's?

That is definitely many people's choice. I, myself, like to put a thin layer of sand or fine gravel in the bottom, which seems to help stablize the pH a little. It is just as easy to keep clean, looks nicer and gives the fish some substrate to root through and move around for breeding.

I'm sure I gonna have many more questions in the future, but that's all for now.

Great, that is the best way to get it right the first time.

Good luck,
Neil

doczahi

5 Year Member
Dear Neil

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I apologize in advanced for any misspellings as English is not my natural languaue :wink: (I will be happy to see future corrections).

The current water conditions are:
pH- 7.6 (I think I'll have to add some peat).
KH- 3
GH- 12 (more R.O. I guess)

Is it too early to put in the fish (even not for breeding)? Should I wait until I lower the pH or should it be "on the move"?

Is it a problem not to use gravel? can they still lay eggs?

Thanks again,
Zahi

Randall

5 Year Member
Breeding Apistogramma cacatuoides

Dear Zahi,

If you are using a 50/50 tap water to RO water mix to arrive at the water parameters posted, your Apistogramma cacatuoides might prefer a 34/66 ratio of tap water to RO water. I, personally, use substrate in my breeding tanks to sustain live plants and give the fish something to dig, but others report success with bare bottom tanks.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….