• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PM Spammers

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
We have had more than a few PM spammers popping in lately. I looked into the option of requiring a minimum number of posts before the PM privileges kick in, but this version of vBulletin does not seem to offer that. If you get a spam PM, please post the name of the abuser here ASAP so we can ban them and delete all their PM.

Mods... let me ban these PM spammers because I can delete the the PM messages they send, but you cannot.

fischfan13

5 Year Member
Ted, what you need is what I put in at EastCoastCichlids.org (free plug)...it's vbStopForumSpam.
Also you can check out Project Honey Pot and install what they have.
In your Admin Panel in Banning Options I would also be happy to give you the IP addys of thousands of spammers that you would be able to ban them as well.

ShirleyNg

5 Year Member
DO NOT click on the link in the PM. My Safari browser warns me that this link would direct user to a malware site and resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

This kind of spam PM was seen as early as 2002, with the exact same content.

4272622097_358b6b5e79_o.jpg

4272622297_4c4727327d_o.jpg

pink lady

5 Year Member
Malware message

I received this email today that Ted said is malware "BEWARE"
Will you be able to remove it Ted???

Dear pink lady,

You have received a new private message at Apistogramma Forums - The Dwarf Cichlid Connection from Lady_Admin, entitled "Important message from the forum administration".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Dear, Kristina023;pink lady;Ogof;sakana;boydvd!
A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://antivirus.effectmeds.com/Kristina023;pink lady;Ogof;sakana;boydvd
Sincerely, Forum Administration www.forum.apistogramma.com.

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/private.php

All the best,
Apistogramma Forums - The Dwarf Cichlid Connection

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I got a second one today.

Why is Apistogramma.com so prone to these people? I have never had or seen spam messages from other forums.

TJudy you are doing a great job so thank you for your diligence but this must be infuriating for you and the other mods.

dfea

5 Year Member
Ted,

Second one for me today too, you deleted the first before I even saw it, the second is from GooDFriend.

- Dan

slowhand35

5 Year Member
GooDFriend strikes again

I just got another PM from this jerk today, can't these guys be banned or something?

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
My lord. I got two more. One from the GooDFriend and the other from nikoolaj880.

I guess we take for granted how lucky we've been not to have this so much before.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
All those listed are banned. I get to them as fast as I can. I am banning them because as an admin I can delete all their PM sent as well. I will be downloading and installing a new security system next week that will hopefully take care of the problem. I am not in a place I can do that easily, so please be patient until I get back home next week.

SteveE

5 Year Member
I got one from luckkkyman. Looks like 4 or 5 people got it. I also got them from most of the ones already listed and this one is the same message that those were.

JasonC

5 Year Member
I just got one from luckkkyman... also have had msg's from the others mentioned... any way to do an IP ban on these punks?

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
The minimum post idea is probably a good one. If that doesn't work, it may be a good idea to lock out new member sign ups for a week. Once the software that is spamming us receives failed login attempts they may go onto the next victim.

This is just a short term fix suggestion, in long term, the addition of better member sign up verification may help.

fischfan13

5 Year Member
I threw my suggestion out there. No need to do anything about "minimum" posts for pms or posting.
I run a forum as well, and I use vBulletin.
vBulletin has a StopSpam list, as does other sites. All of these spammers' IP addys are already listed on these sites and I have had in the past year ZERO spammers get thru...ZERO.
580 members, 25,000 posts...ZERO spammers.

In the Admin Control Panel there is a place to copy and paste all of these IP addys...
Piece of cake.

Personally I am getting upset because I have my email hooked up to my Blackberry and it seems at the worst times I have received emails form here saying that I have a PM.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
HI Bill,

Thank you. I will be contacting you about your suggestion. I have been out of town since last Wednesday, and am just catching up on stuff.

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….