• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

please more help...

what Apisto are these?

• male and female of...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • male and male..???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ferchi

I would like to know what Apisto are these..
1000923_1403711316550573_773839021_n.jpg
1654395_1403711686550536_2061416722_n.jpg

Ferchi

I would like to know if these are the same Apistogrammas... and which one..

thanks for help!!

MickeM

5 Year Member
From the top:

Ap. borellii (male)
Ap. trifasciata (male)

3d fish may be (female?) from the Apistogramma-commbrae-complex..?? My guess, not sure..

MickeM

5 Year Member
If you have purchased all the Apistos from the same Local Fish Store.. Ask them what fishes were on their order list at the moment they were delivered. Then maybe you can sort out which Apisto the 3d fish might be...

If you want more of the trifasciata, it might be a recommendation to get 3-5 pcs . Looks like a young specimen.
It`s often easier to keep Apistos in groups , and let them "socialize"... (leads to mating..)
Might be hard to get only one single female from the store (delivering company). But maybe if you ask...??
And by the way..
Many Apisto keepers have experienced complications when ordering only one extra fish. Especially if keeping them without any hiding places and other fishes in their tank..! (Fighting/chasing.. when you add only one more fish into an already established males territory)
Ap. trifasciata is relatively cheap to buy, so it might be an option..?? (Some breeders guaratee both genders , male+female)

In your earlier pics (1st thread) I think I observed a borellii female, so if you just keep that "pair" without any other territorial fishes(cichlids!/larger Apistos/disturbing catfishes) they will probably do well..

BTW..
Make sure you don`t have calcium rich sand/gravel.. pH might rise + plants may not grow well!!
Also think of the size of gravel you use.. (But not to small in size, then you only get rest products on top of the sand..polluting the water!! / rather than getting the important biological function on/in between the sand particles..)
Apisto females also prefer small caves + well-sized-sand they can move with their mouth when taking care of eggs/"wrigglers" in the cave.. ( clean,broken "cocoshells" works fine as cave I think.)
They often dig a "sand wall" in front of their cave entrance.. to prohibit predatory snails/shrimps/catfishes and others from entering and eating their eggs/fry..

Good luck !!

Ferchi

If you have purchased all the Apistos from the same Local Fish Store.. Ask them what fishes were on their order list at the moment they were delivered. Then maybe you can sort out which Apisto the 3d fish might be...

If you want more of the trifasciata, it might be a recommendation to get 3-5 pcs . Looks like a young specimen.
It`s often easier to keep Apistos in groups , and let them "socialize"... (leads to mating..)
Might be hard to get only one single female from the store (delivering company). But maybe if you ask...??
And by the way..
Many Apisto keepers have experienced complications when ordering only one extra fish. Especially if keeping them without any hiding places and other fishes in their tank..! (Fighting/chasing.. when you add only one more fish into an already established males territory)
Ap. trifasciata is relatively cheap to buy, so it might be an option..?? (Some breeders guaratee both genders , male+female)

In your earlier pics (1st thread) I think I observed a borellii female, so if you just keep that "pair" without any other territorial fishes(cichlids!/larger Apistos/disturbing catfishes) they will probably do well..

BTW..
Make sure you don`t have calcium rich sand/gravel.. pH might rise + plants may not grow well!!
Also think of the size of gravel you use.. (But not to small in size, then you only get rest products on top of the sand..polluting the water!! / rather than getting the important biological function on/in between the sand particles..)
Apisto females also prefer small caves + well-sized-sand they can move with their mouth when taking care of eggs/"wrigglers" in the cave.. ( clean,broken "cocoshells" works fine as cave I think.)
They often dig a "sand wall" in front of their cave entrance.. to prohibit predatory snails/shrimps/catfishes and others from entering and eating their eggs/fry..

Good luck !!

Thanks MickeM !!! very useful advices !!! really appreciate it.. !!
do you have apisto trifasciata and commbrae ? do you have picture of yours?
can you share?
also may I have a picture of your thank?
I am willing to spend in a propper tank for these beatifull fishes !!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Ferchi ..!

Here is a thread with some recent pics from one of my Apisto tanks..
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/resticulosa-urteagai.15295/#post-84279

At this moment I don`t have Ap. trifasciata but the are one of my favorite Apistos..
I´ve had them several times ... but never the commbrae...

I usually set up a tank with none or a very small filter-/circulation pump. Othervise you probably "blow" all the good CO2 (beeing produced in the aquarium) out of the tank ... resulting in less thriving plants.. (SlowFlow-Strategy..:))
My primary "filter" is my gravel/sand.
And also.. Apistos rarely lives in the centre of a stream/river in the nature from what I know... (Drains their energy??)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….