• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus Njanje

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I tried to ship a group of Njanje to Larry B., but it didn't go too well. Either the fish were still too small, the weather too cold, or the Njanje generally don't ship well. I promised Larry to grow out a small group for him to be shipped in spring. I'd be happy to give the other away for free to forum members. Pick up only (Lincoln, Nebraska).

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is very true in Southern Cameroon (I was also there in February!). The area around Muyuka in northwest Cameroon was the only exception we found. However, we did not go to a location near Muyuka with P. taeniatus in it, so I do not know what the parameters of the water are where Njanje was collected. The river that flows through the town of Muyuka is full of Benitochromis conjunctus and has a conductivity of 200 uS, though the pH is still neutral.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Using the water conditions specified previously, my pair of Njanje keeps on spawning. I just set up a new growout tank for the first spawn (hoping to pass them along as pairs in spring) and while the tank is cycling in, the pair spawned again. I hope Ted is right and the Njanje grab some of the Moliwe's market share. I've had only three bites by other hobbyists on my first spawn, which I found somewhat surprising.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Janos... I have a pretty good image of a male on my website you can lift for your auctions if you want. I have been taking fry to donate to club meetings and they have been selling high.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks Ted, I might take you up on your offer in spring when it gets warmer again and when I can reliably sex the fish. The Midwest Cichlid Association (MCA) is the closest to a local fish club that you can get in Lincoln. You know just as well as I that most MCA members have a primary interest in cichlids from the rift lakes, not in West African species. If I handed the Njanje to a local fish store, they'd probably end up being sold as "kribs." That pretty much leaves me with Aquabid, ACA, and apistogramma.com. I frequently swap fish with Steve Thornton in K.C. but that's not going to be an option for a while because of his temporary relocation and downsizing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….