• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus ‘Moliwe’

Rod

5 Year Member
If I saw them in my LFS advertised as Nigerian yellow.....I wouldn't give them a second thought that they were hybrids....

I'd grow them and breed them.....if they are hybrids(which I seriously doubt)
then fry will show great variation in tail pattern as they mature....if they all show similar tail pattern then they are true

There are lots of taeniatus sold that are miss named.....and most who buy them haven't a clue.....

They are very nice fish....worth having regardless of parentage

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that these are tank strains of Nigerian & Cameroon origins. The male's tail is Nigerian, but his overall body color is golden yellow/orange like the southern Cameroon varieties. The female has the dusky purple of Cameroon females, the spotting of a Moliwe type and the black/white markings of a Nigerian.

Pretty fish... but definitely tank-strains.

Ryze_Gr

If they are mix of Nigerian and Cameroon forms,they are hybrids.Are they or not because they are only different colour forms?:frown::frown:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
As of right now they would not be hybrids but just crosses of different population of taeniatus. But that may very well change in the near future as the geus Pelvicachromis is under going a major revision.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep and enjoy the fishany less though!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would not hesitate to keep or breed the fish you have as tank strains. They are pretty fish. The whole hybrid vs non-hybrid issue is really hard to apply to this species at the moment. When the revision comes out the southern Cameroon varieties will be reinstated as P. kribensis. The Wouri variety will be a new species. The final verdict on Moliwe is waiting on DNA work to be completed. THe Nigerian fish will stay P. taeniatus (as they were priginally described as).

Lots of interesting stuff has come to light regarding Cameroon P. taeniatus populations recently. I will start another thread...

Ryze_Gr

I want to keep and breed them because they are wonderful fishes.Wouldn't be a little risky,in case they finally are hybrids?
I wish in future to find real moliwe or any other colour form,even if they are different species,as you said.They are all very beautiful.
Thank you very much.:)

They are very interesting all that you said,so tell us more.:wink:

Shernutz

... But that may very well change in the near future as the geus Pelvicachromis is under going a major revision.

...When the revision comes out the southern Cameroon varieties will be reinstated as P. kribensis. The Wouri variety will be a new species. The final verdict on Moliwe is waiting on DNA work to be completed. THe Nigerian fish will stay P. taeniatus (as they were priginally described as).

Lots of interesting stuff has come to light regarding Cameroon P. taeniatus populations recently. I will start another thread...

Whaaat!!!! Please start the other thread soon! After reading so much about this fish - the history/facts all comes crashing down...

DNA rules....

Lisa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….