• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis sp. 'Blue fin'

cyfan964

5 Year Member
Has anyone on here been doing any work with these little guys? I know they are relatively knew, but am looking for any good info. Thanks!

PS: I got referred over here by your friends at the plantedtank.net. :)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
This species was first collected in 2003-2004. It was named last Summer by Anton Lamboj. The new name is Enigmatochromis lucanusi, and is the only species in the new genus.

Other than not actually being in the genus Pelvicachromis their behavior and requirements are basically the same. Neat fish.

cyfan964

5 Year Member
This species was first collected in 2003-2004. It was named last Summer by Anton Lamboj. The new name is Enigmatochromis lucanusi, and is the only species in the new genus.

Other than not actually being in the genus Pelvicachromis their behavior and requirements are basically the same. Neat fish.

Thanks for the info! I can't believe I never heard about them here in Iowa :mad:. I know selective breeding is kind of frowned upon, but I would be curious as to how well you could enhance that blue. I guess it happened with Rams.....

Maybe I found myself a new project. Anyway, thanks again!

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Something you might run into in researching them is their aggression level (I have) ... half the resouces I've read say they are more aggressive than a P. pulcher and the other half say their are less aggressive than a P. pulcher ... so I have no idea if they lean towards P. humilis, P. pulcher, or P. taeniatus on the scale.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
saw a group of them in LFS

I saw a big group of them at the LFS and they were very shy. Not aggressive towards each others at all. The group consists of dozen of so of mostly females (where the 'blue fin' characteristic came from). Within a 2 to 3 weeks timeframe, they were down to 4 females (assuming the rest of them were sold). I was checking them at least twice a week since I knew they were relatively new to the hobby.

There is an article in TFH, here is the link.

http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/200912?pg=45#pg45

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
I actually have the fish in that TFH link. They are great little fish aggression no worse than others. Sadly though I have lost the male, some sort of nifty bacterial infection that opened a hole in his side. May have initially started as a bite or some other wound but nothing I tried stopped it. And actually the hole did not extend into his interior but a large patch of scaleless surface grew on his flank. Im bummed and looking for more of them to replace him. I have to say I would hate to see this fish become the next solid blue "ram".

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with them is that they are as aggressive as most wild-caught Pelvicachromis and a little more shy. Established pairs are very territorial against others, so if you want to try to keep several in one tank the space needs to be larger. I managed a pair with no difficulties in a 20 gallon. Spawns were infrequent and always occurred in the Fall for me. But that was just one pair. I have not heard about that trend from other people, and I have not heard reports of seasonality from anyone working with tank-raised fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….