• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro and Nijsseni - Why the dislike

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello All,

I find that in some threads, some either like or dislike the Panduro and Nijsseni. Apart from personal views and the slightly higher aggression, can you advise me why they are disliked ?
cheers Jan-kurt

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Other than personal preferences, I can't say why. One possibility is that some people buy only two fish and expect them to breed. Instead, one of the fish kills the other. The nijsseni-group species form pair bonds before breeding. Not every pair will bond & often the weaker fish dies. We see this in agressive Central American cichlids, think it is normal and buy another potential mate. We don't expect this for apistos and think that there is something "wrong" with these species.

apistobob

5 Year Member
I don't know of any special characteristics of either of these that would make them unpopular unless the person trying to keep them knows nothing about apistos.

Persobnally I have kept both species and like them both. When first introduced the author dubbed nijesseni the "apsito superstar" of course this was some time ago and there are many spectacular species in the hobby today. Nijesseni were a problem fish for me for many years. I always did well keeping them but never had spawning success. Once I did they became fairly easy for me. The funny thing is that I never sdid anything different.

You might enjoy the info about panduros found here
http://dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_panduro.php

Bob

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I love nijsenni and when I kept mine I bought two pairs for a 3ft tank and let them choose their own pairs. The pair I kept then bred successfully and stayed together in a tank with a big shoal of cardinal tetras and catfish. Great fish and must breed them again soon...

Microman

5 Year Member
How can anybody dislike these Nijsseni group species.... Truly stunning....
As Mike says getting a pair to bond is definately the key with these species and a trio is really the minimum requirement, that and perseverance...I always seem to struggle with A pantalone from the same group
A cf panduro, possibly A184 Wild caught. IMO stunning...
A_cf_panduro_f1copy.jpg

A_cf_panduro_f2copy.jpg

A_cf_panduro_m2copy.jpg

A_cf_panduro_m10copy.jpg

Arcadianred

5 Year Member
Bit of an odd one this really as the males are superbly coloured but females when in breeding dress are out of this world as far as their colour goes. Perhaps the colour is a little too near Malawis for some? As far as the aggression is concerned I personally don't think they are that different from many other apistos. I suppose the aggression is just more heightened in pair formation.

Then again I have 4 females (Nijsenni) at the present waiting for a man so I might have different experiences soon...:biggrin:

Mark

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I find getting compatible pairs of these two Apistogramma species can be difficult.
If one is used to the recommended beginner species these are more demanding and aggression is a bigger issue than it is with the beginner Apistos. I think this discourages many because one can't possibly fault them for their colors.
I haven't tried either in several years and I believe my first specimens were wild fish. In retrospect and looking to any future attempts at breeding them, I think I would try a large tank. I would try one of my 40 gal breeders and provide plenty of cover. Once a pair formed I would give them that tank to themselves.
Many Apistogramma problems vanish when you double the minimum size of your initial idea of what is a big enough tank.
I think I'm about ready to try raising A. nissenji next. I have to sell off a large number of A. cacatuoides first. I only bred them to retrieve my white gold cacatuoides. I should get some from crossing the siblings. I only had a female white gold and a normal yellow orange male to spawn.

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
Many Apistogramma problems vanish when you double the minimum size of your initial idea of what is a big enough tank.

This is why I have 6 , 40 x 12 x 12 custom tanks on order ( to fit an existing rack of 12 x 10g tanks ) .

I have a few pairs of panduro I need to move to bigger homes , I would go bigger but no space

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….