• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oxygen and sex ratio

lab

5 Year Member
I just read that an article has been published about sex determination in Zebrafish: "Hypoxia affects sex differentiation and development, leading to a male-dominated population in Zebrafish (Danio rerio)". Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.40, p.3118-3122, 2006.

Allegedly this research gives evidence that hypoxia (low concentrations of oxygen) develops more males in broods of Zebrafish.

I could not stop wondering if oxygen levels is also the real cause behind sex ratios in apistos. I know that Römer's studies show temperature as the most important effect on sex ratios, with increasingly more males with higher temperature for most species. Does anyone know if oxygen was monitored in this study? If it was not, then temperature could just be a way of varying oxygen levels, because waters ability to contain oxygen varies with temperature. The higher temperature the less oxygen is in the water.

Any thoughts?

Lars

retro_gk

5 Year Member
That is a definite possibility, Lars.

It should be a fairly straightforward experiment to recreate with kribs or the like.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Umair

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(