• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One more Peru order for the season and Updated Stock List

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apisto. "cruzi" Peru (pending a proper I.D. from Mike Wise!!!) You can see how these ae not the same fish as the sp. Melgar I also brought in.

cruzimale2.jpg

cruzimale1.jpg

cruzifemale1.jpg

cruzifemale2.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll try to get some pictures of the agassizii up today. The Peru agassizii look like some of the earier groups I have brought in with a mix of colors incluiding some nice red finned with white seam males. Check some of the pictures in earlier threads for those guys.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeff, your "agassizii" Brazil are a population of A. cf. agassizii Netz/Net from some tributary north of the Amazon and below Manaus. A. cf. agassizii Alenqer is the most commonly available example of the Netz form.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Great! Thanks Mike.

What seperates/distinguishes A232 (cf. gephyra Rio Curua) from cf. agassizii Net? I can NEVER seem to tell an agasizii/cf. agassizii from the gephyra/cf. gephyra!

jaafaman

...The Dicrossus were all DOA...
That's a real shame. The batch you sent me is turning out quite well, and a few more would've been a welcome addition.

Apologies for the size, but it's a point-n-shoot CoolPix and I don't have my regular computer, so I haven't cropped or resized yet to preserve what color the camera did catch...

redir.aspx

(EDIT - perhaps one day I'll be able to properly post a photo from Live and not have it disappear from the post mere hours later)
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...E41C021B73932!1029&parid=6EAE41C021B73932!995

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The other Brazilian Apistos are made up of mainly another agassizii type (pictures soon hopefully), a few pertense complex fish, a single hippolytae, a single weird tetra, a single juvinal Acarichthys heckellii (I think that's what it is), and a single Taeniacara candidi (maybe two). I think the candidi is a male which would be perfect because I have a nice female left form a group that died out a few months ago.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Great! Thanks Mike.

What seperates/distinguishes A232 (cf. gephyra Rio Curua) from cf. agassizii Net? I can NEVER seem to tell an agasizii/cf. agassizii from the gephyra/cf. gephyra!

Well, A. cf. gephyra (both A232 & A233) represent the paratype form of Kullander's 1980 type series for A. gephyra. Both of these species show no scales on the ventral edge of the body (similar to that seen in A. pertensis). The other agassizii-complex species show ventral scales. This is not easy to see no live specimens, but you can separate A. cf. agassizii Netz, like A235, from A cf. gephyra by looking at the scales on the flanks. On Netz the outer edges of the scales are thickly lined in black, forming a 'pinecone' appearance. On A. cf. gephyra, the same scales are thinly lined and the bottom of each scale shows little or no color at all, forming a diagonal streak on the abdomen similar to that seen on resticulosa-complex species. Additionally, the unpaired fins of male Netz forms become extremely long and pointed on mature males. On A. cf. gephyra, the unpaired fins remain shorter and more blunt. The body is much stouter on Netz forms while on A. cf. gephyra the body tends to be more slender. In finnage and body shape, A. cf. gephyra more closely resembles the populations of A. cf. agassizii Broad Black Caudal Seam (BBCS) that inhabit the same part of the Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….