• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not cf. agassizii Tefe!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So what are these guys? I'm leaning toward a pulchra linage fish like cf. pulchra, or sp. "Abacaxis"/"Wilhelmi". The darker chin makes me think the are "Abacaxis" or something very similar to them. These came out of Belem and exported as cf. agassizii Tefe. For what it's worth there were also a couple of pertensis type fish mixed in with them along with the following Apistos available at the same time: the 2 caetae types and gephyra (ID pending there as well).

The fish pictured is about 1 3/8" long.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Kipper

I have both

Jeff, looking at your pictures and then the fish in my tank- I have a Tefe male and two females and one male and one female of the mystery fish. The Tefe male has a bright blue tail with a white edge. While the other male has a dark chin and red radial lines on his tail.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeff, looking at your pictures and then the fish in my tank- I have a Tefe male and two females and one male and one female of the mystery fish. The Tefe male has a bright blue tail with a white edge. While the other male has a dark chin and red radial lines on his tail.
Hmmm...I'll have to take a closer look at the other ones then. We might have to do some swapping around to get things straightened out so we each have something to work with!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So my next question, assuming that at least some of these fish are sp. "Wilhelmi" is how do you tell the females apart from the cf. agassizii Tefe? From what I can see in pictures the "Wilhelmi" females have a broader black strip and something of a metallic sheen to them while the cf. agassizii Tefe look much more like a "normal" agassizii female.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The lateral band on Abacaxis is half again wider than on Tefé. This is the easiest way to separate them. Otherwise, put a female in with a male of each and see with which she chooses to breed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….