• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not a dwarf...or is it?

aarhud

5 Year Member
I was flipping through Antons book on West African Cichlids and came across the profile on Oreochromis mossambicus. Anton states that mossambicus will only grow around 10cm in a small tank, but it does not impact their spawning or their off springs growth. He also states that if the fish are moved to larger quarters they will resume growing.

I have a few questions on this. Are the fish simply stunted, or is there some type of adaptation at play? Would it be possible to line breed a smaller fish? I'm not interested in line breeding, I'm just interested in learning whats behind mossambicus ability to stop growing. I do think it would be really cool to keep mossambicus if there were no harm in keeping them small, I love fish that reach sexual maturity fast because they are so fun to raise. I had no idea "tilapia" were such interesting fish.

The title was just to get your interest:p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenAmon

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….