• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Shelf

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I've been slowly upgrading my fishroom over the past few months. Some of my tanks are currently a bit sparse on decorations as I am waiting on a few plant, gravel and driftwood shipments that will be in next week. Heres a pic of the new shelf. Its been up for 2 weeks now.

NewShelf01.jpg

The top row holds 3 - 10 gals. Left to right - P. taeniatus 'Nigerian Red'; P. subocellatus 'Moamda' & a guppy trio; P. taeniatus 'Moliwe' & a group of threadfin rainbows(2m/4f). The backs of these havent been painted yet because each pair had young fry that were not ready to seperate when I built the shelf. I had to move these tanks very carefully due to the fry because the shelf was going where the 10's were setup originally. It was risky, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, fortunatly I only lost 1 batch of fry.

The middle shelf holds 2 - 20 long tanks. The one on the left contains 6 juvinile p. taeniatus 'Keinke' that I intend to pair off and a handful's worth of odd and end killi fish. The right containes 7 P. taeniatus 'Makouri' juvies that I am going to pair up, a group of neon dwarf rainbows(1m/3f) and a trio of bristlenose plecos.

The bottom shelf also holds 2 - 20 longs. Tank on the left has around 17 juvinile Apisto. Cacatuoides and 2 adult females(my male disapeared a few weeks ago) and the right one containes 4 wild dwarf green pikes and 5 peacock eels.

I moved the fish into the 20 longs the day before yesterday so I could paint the backs of the tanks they belong in and I'll have those tanks back up and the fish back in them today. The juvenile pelvicachromis are almost ready to be moved and will go into the 20's on the middle shelf for growout. Then I can put these guys into tanks I've already painted and get the backs of those tanks painted. I'll have more photos up later when I get the time to take them. I've got tanks setup all over the house that I'm trying to organize into this room bit by bit and I'm in the middle of setting up another shelf. LOL

ste12000

5 Year Member
Its looking good..How many tanks do you have in total?? and what does your partner think of it all???? mine is not interested in the hobby at all and wonders why i love it so much. I struggled to pursuade her to get a basic 2ft tank at first in our house(i had 2 tanks before we moved in together), now 10 years later i have 25 tanks,22 of which are in a purpose built fishhouse..i am scared to add up the total amount of fish i own but as you know its never enough... Keep us updated with pics it looks really good so far.

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
My husband is of the same optinion, except when we met I already had a dozen or so tanks. Our 2nd anniversary was on the 16th of October and I've been in the hobby for 14 years now. He allows me to do whatever I want with my hobby as long as I dont flood the house. He takes no real interest, but does help me with them when I need it. Right now I'm on my own while he's in Iraq. I told him I was rearranging the fish to get the majority of tanks into one room and adding tanks. His reply of course was.. "Just dont flood the house."

My tank capacity is..
15 - 10 gal
13 - 20 longs
2 - 20 talls
1 - 30 gals
1 - 45 gal
1 - 50 gal
numerous smaller tanks and containers which I raise killifish in.

I also breed bettas in gallon sized bowls and raise them in 5 gallon buckets and 2 - 20 gal ponds that I take down in the winter. Next year I'll be adding some stock tanks outside to raise my betta spawns in during the summer as well as a couple native species I collected last month. I kept most of my breedings down to a minimum this summer mainly due to the need to move.

I dont have all the tanks yet, but I should within the next month or so. I just need to fill one more of these shelves. Alot of it is in dissaray right now cause I'm painting the backs of all the tanks a few at a time and putting together a filter system specifically for the killifish. Everything but the killifish is run using sponge filters and a really large airpump.

Consequently my husband feels the same way about my dog and my zebra finches. He loves animals, just doesnt like the responsiblility that comes with owning them. LOL

beleg

5 Year Member
Hehe i hope i have so many tanks someday. My wife took care of my single tank while i was serving in military (didn't loose any fish) in Syrian/Iraqi border but normally she would never help with the tanks. Just complain :D..

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Consequently my husband feels the same way about my dog and my zebra finches. He loves animals, just doesnt like the responsiblility that comes with owning them. LOL

Seems like a lot of fish people keep alot of other animals as well.

Here's a baby BC zebra we bred.
BCzebrafledgling.jpg

I have to ask though... Is Eeyore guarding the fish supplies?:tongue:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Lisa,

Very interesting color morp of Zebra Finch. I never seen a dark morph like that before, but it's been a while (decades!) since I had finches. Is it something new?

Genn,

What's Eeyor sitting on??

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think it's something really new. Black cheeks have been around for at least 20-30 years, and probably a lot longer for me to be able to have found them near me. There are many really cool varieties now, eumos, and others that are making the birds look reddish (orangebreasted), and others that go further into blacks (blackbreasted, agate, etc).

http://www.efinch.com/varieties.htm

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My husband is of the same optinion, except when we met I already had a dozen or so tanks.

Marriage rule #1... Any hobby that exists prior to the relationship cannot be negatively affected by the hobbyist's spouse. Reasonable self limitation is recommended by not required.

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
LMAO @ Ted! Damn Strait!!! Told him in the begining if he has a problem of any kind with my hobby/addiction he might as well say his goodbyes then and there. I'd go nuts without my fish!

I only have a standard pair of zebra finches. I'd love to be able to get ahold of other color varieties. I've seen alot online, but the availability of what I've found is small. I think mine are currently sitting on eggs, which would be awsome. I'm not sure though as I'm afraid to look into their nest house and scare them off. Being as its their first batch I'm not even sure if they will make it anyway, but I'm crossing my fingers. I dont have time to hand raise them if the parents fail to figure it out the first time around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….