• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"New" Pelvicachromis taeniatus color morph

Randall

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Made available in small quantities this year, Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Makoure" is endemic to Cameroon. This color morph is somewhat similar in appearence to P. taeniatus "Muyuka" in its bright golden yellow body color and pronounced sub-lateral band, but its fins more resemble those of P. taeniatus "Kienke."

If I can figure out a means of posting a photo or two on the Web, I'll advise of the address. This color morph is incredibly beautiful!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Have these not been around for awhile? I have seen them on lists, but didn't know what they looked like. Love to see some pics.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I got some Pelv. t. 'Mahone' last year, right before the ACA. Nobody, except the hobbiest I got them from has ever heard of them before. One person I sent pics off to, Dov @ RareCichlids, showed them to a Westie Distributor/Importer and said they looked a lot like Makore. Then I got to thinking...Bad handwriting...Makore and Mahone are close. The 'k' could have been mistaken for an 'h' and the 'r' for an 'n'...Being that I am no expert at identification, I kept the name as Mahone until I can get a 'For Sure' id that they are different. I'll post some pics on my page and let people compare the know Makore with the Mahone.

Ken

posted them:

http://www.roundtownaquatics.com/images/male_mahone.jpg
and
http://www.roundtownaquatics.com/images/female_mahone.jpg

Let me know you opinions. If they are Makore, and people are interested in some, talk to Mike at Threeguysaquatic. He has a few from my stock that he is currently breeding.

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I've seen quite a number of wild specimens of Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Makoure" and i'm yet to see any males of this form with spots on the soft rayed portion of their dorsal fin. I don't think the fish in the photo is from "Makoure".
The pattern of arrangements of spots on the tail however reminds one of a "Kienke"....perhaps the "Mahone" is actually a hybrid from the "Kienke" and another strain. Of course, i stand to be corrected!

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Toyin! Welcome to our little group!!!

What are the odds...I looked at the other 6 males I have, the one in the picture is the only one with the spot in the dorsal. They all do have the 3 spots, arranged almost exactly the same, on the caudual fin tho. I did find 'Mahone' on a Czech exporters list (It was online, I'll see if I can find it again), but that is the only other place I've seen it.

Updates to follow...hopefully

Ken

Randall

5 Year Member
"Mahone" vs. "Makoure"

Dear Ken,

Thanks for posting photos of the Mahone form on the web. I have some photos of the Makoure form but have no place to post them. Is it possible for mine to join yours? That way the viewer could easily compare the two forms.

I've heard of the Mahone color morph, but know nothing about them. Some research may be in order here. I'll get back to the forum with my findings.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Toyin,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I am glad your with us! :D I am sure your experience with unique Westies will benefit many of us. I am really starting to get the bug for Nanochromis and Chromidotilapia. I am sure that you will be a great resource for me, as well as many others here.
Neil

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks giving me the opportunity to be a memeber of the forum. I believe i have a lot to learn from folks around here.

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Makoure, Mahone, Bologne (heehee)

Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

Couldn't help but drool over Randall's pictures!!!!! They DO look like jazzed-up Muyuka. If you get fry, Randall, please remember me!!!! I'll wrangle out something worthy of trade for you!

Cheers to all,
Wendy

Randall

5 Year Member
P. taeniatus Makoure Fry

Dear Wendy,

I have more Makoure fry than I can count! They are prolific little guys, let me tell you. Unfortunately, the photos that Ken was so kind to post don't do the fish justice. These little guys have to be seen to be believed.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

dhm325

5 Year Member
Has there been any resolution as to whether p. ten. mahone actually exists? Is it a hybrid? Someone is selling them on aquabid and Three Guys Aquatics is selling them on their webpage. Both the aquabid seller and Three Guys Aquatics have posted pictures.

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Very beautiful fish there Randall. Perhaps once I get settled into my new house, I'll contact you about setting up another Westie tank, and procuring some fish from you.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Mahone"

Dear Dhm,

Me thinks Pelv. taen. "Mahone" is of dubious origins. I see them up on Aquabid.com now, and have in the past. Each time I've asked the respective sellers the source of their fish, they've either had no idea or haven't answered my inquiry.

Although I don't really know for sure, from a recent correspondence with Toyin Ojo about them, we are both in agreement: they're either a misidentified taeniatus form or a hybrid.

Should more information be forthcoming, surely it will be posted here.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I picked up 2 pair at the ACA convention in Cleveland. I can't remember the persons name, but I know they were importing from Europe. The only place I've seen them beside the people I've sold to and traded with is: http://www.volny.cz/apistogramma2/index.html That list is 2 years old. If anyone has any contacts that might be able to quiz this exporter, maybe get the name of the people they got them from, and go from there. Every reference I've seen, wholesale and export, have been from the Czech Republic. I have forwarded a couple pictures on to people in hopes of getting some idea as to their ancestry. Mike at Threeguysaquatics has some of my strain and isin the process of trying to take some more detailed pictures. When I get them, I will forward them on.

Randall

5 Year Member
Czech Source for Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Mahone"

Dear Ken,

Thanks for the update.

I'll follow up with a Czech distributor who specializes in dwarf cichlids and see what they have to say. In the interim, please keep us posted.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….