• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here

Kay

Hi I’m new here! I just bought a 40 gallon tank and I think I’ll try my hand at apistos
I’ve always had fish since I was about 3 years old!!
I’ll have tons of questions about apistos!!! Hoping to as much info as possible while cycling up this new tank!!

anewbie

Just be aware that apistogramma is a genus and while there are general characteristics that apply to many species generally speaking few rules apply to all species so it is best to ask about specific species rather than the genus as a whole when it comes to keep them.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome to Apistogramma.com
Hi I’m new here! I just bought a 40 gallon tank and I think I’ll try my hand at apistos
I’ve always had fish since I was about 3 years old!!
I’ll have tons of questions about apistos!!! Hoping to as much info as possible while cycling up this new tank!!
This may seem a bit of a strange question, but when you say "cycling", what exactly do you mean?

cheers Darrel

Kay

Hi all,
Welcome to Apistogramma.com

This may seem a bit of a strange question, but when you say "cycling", what exactly do you mean?

cheers Darrel
Starting a brand new tank. To go through the cycle of ammonia nitrites and into nitrate. Safe for fish!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Starting a brand new tank. To go through the cycle of ammonia nitrites and into nitrate. Safe for fish!
OK, this will probably come as a surprise, but cycling, in its traditional form, doesn't really exist. The problem is that everything you read in traditional aquarium literature, or are told by LFS etc., is wrong, and will actually delay the time until your tank is stable.

There are also a lot of hucksters out there who will try and sell you magic bullets that serve no useful purpose.

The bacteria (Ammonia Oxidising Bacteria (AOB)) that were thought to convert ammonia (NH3) to nitrite (NO2-), and require high ammonia loadings and high carbonate hardness, don't occur in aquariums.

Scientists have looked for DNA sequences that code for ammonia and nitrite oxidation, and this has allowed them to find the

The first thing is please stop adding ammonia and start changing some water.

If you don't have plants? You need some. Have a look at the <"Duckweed Index">

Have a look at Cory (from the Aquarium Co-Op) video on <"Seasoned Tank Time">

I'll add in some links on UKAPS, the only reason for this is that we've had conversations with some of the scientists involved with work on nitrification in aquaculture etc.

cheers Darrel

Kay

Hi all,

OK, this will probably come as a surprise, but cycling, in its traditional form, doesn't really exist. The problem is that everything you read in traditional aquarium literature, or are told by LFS etc., is wrong, and will actually delay the time until your tank is stable.

There are also a lot of hucksters out there who will try and sell you magic bullets that serve no useful purpose.

The bacteria (Ammonia Oxidising Bacteria (AOB)) that were thought to convert ammonia (NH3) to nitrite (NO2-), and require high ammonia loadings and high carbonate hardness, don't occur in aquariums.

Scientists have looked for DNA sequences that code for ammonia and nitrite oxidation, and this has allowed them to find the

I'll add in some links on UKAPS, the only reason for this is that we've had conversations with some of the scientists involved with work on nitrification in aquaculture etc.

cheers Darrel
Wow
Hi all,

cheers Darrel
wow thank you for the info. When I started an African cichlid tank it seemed to take forever! And the folks at aquarium co-op are top notch!! Love those guys and their videos I live on the opposite side of the mountain but try to get there at least twice a year!
Thanks again!

MacZ

Tbh the seasoned tank video is one of the few good ones. Corey is a greta talker and businessman, but some things... Debateable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….