• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dwarf S.A.Cichlid Tank (Long, Many Questions..)

R

Reine Louve

Hey all!

I have started (and cycled) a 38 liter tank and was initially going to put a pair of M. ramirezi & A. borelli in it. But I have recently found I could get D. filamentosus -a species I have desired for some time- and was wondering if it would be possible to keep a pair of filamentosus & borelli in such close quarters? Or would it be better to have ramirezi & filamentosus? I have limited aquarium space and as such would like to exploit the space I have as much as possible. I have a lone female Penguin Fish in another tank, anyone know if she could be kept with Dwarf Cichlids? Also would it be possible to keep a pair of Rams with the other two cichlids? Or could borelli or ramirezi be kept succesfully in a community tank? I do have a 208 liter tank, but it is community and I do not intend to change that.
The 208 currently has:

1 Pair Pearl Gourami
1 Snakeskin Gourami (Female)
1 Rosy Barb
1 Gold Barb
2 Silver Dollar
1 Bristlenose Catfish
1 Chinese Algae Eater
1 Black Ghost Knifefish

I do NOT want to disrupt that tank or make it a more aggressive tank (It is very peaceful). I am quite content with those fish being content. :)

Okay, more questions.
In this new 38 liter I do have a UGF (As I have in all my tanks...). I was thinking of getting a Penguin 100 GPH Power Filter in addition (With BioWheel). Would this create to much of a current, and does anyone have experience as to how well this brand functions? Any other suggestions as to good (cheap!) filters? Since it is a small tank I have been shying away from internal filters, don't want to take away from space I don't have! :wink: But I would rather have water too clean than too dirty.

My p.h is around 6.3, ammonia is now 0.
I am going to be ordering Gh/Kh & Nitrite/Nitrate test kits soon, so I don't know what they are yet. I know my water is naturally very hard, but because of that we use a water softener. But anyway, I am now using RO Water. What has everyone found to be the perfect temperature for their Cichlids? My temp is currently 78-80 F. I don't really want to change it unless necessary since the heater isn't the easiest to adjust, (It's quite hard) I don't like fiddling, since I now have fish in the tank.
I have overhead flourescent lighting, two 20 watt bulbs. The tank is newly planted. I have 2 flower pots and some slate in the tank, as well as some Maple branches, which don't seem to have affected the p.h.
The plants in the tank are:

Ambulia
Micro Sword
Moneywort
Cabomba (Not doing well, I don't think I have enough light..)

Now on to algae eaters, how many Otocinclus would be appropriate for a 10 Gallon? As for Catfish or Loaches, any suggestions? I want all the fish in the tank to be happy, not getting their fins nipped off.. What species would be most appropriate for the fish I am considering? (A. borelli, D. filamentosus, M. ramirezi)

Thanks in advance!

Liz

Neil

Wow, I am going to take one at a time.
I would keep borellii and the rams together. One is a substrate spawner and the other is a cave brooder. Dicrossus species are also substrate spawners and might conflict more with the rams. Additionally, filamentosa fair best in very soft and acidic water. Their breeding often requires vitually no hardness and a pH below 5. Much different than what is required to breed the other 2 species.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….