• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New cacatuoides! Are they male/female?

Ale Perth

Hi everyone, I received 2 days ago what should be a male and a female Apisto. cacatuoides.
But they look really similar! and the one that is supposed to be the female is larger than the male.. could it be just because he is younger? I hope I don't have two males... I ll try to post a couple of pictures now. Thanks!

Ale Perth

IMG_1889 (200x150).jpg
IMG_1892 (200x150).jpg

This is what may be the female

Ale Perth

The supposed female pushes away the male as soon as he gets close. I don't know if its normal for this species?

Ale Perth

Ok thanks, well I can only wait now and see what happens :)
I like them a lot..
In the meantime maybe I can share my tank setup..
IMG_1897 (200x150).jpg

And of course open to suggestions to make it better

bbetta

5 Year Member
My guess is that both are males, can't be sure though...
Time will tell, feed them up real good and post pictures when you notice any change.

Regards
Billy

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….