• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto tank

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hey Guys!

Due to the fact i am moving soon i will probably have to leave behind my 60x40x60cm tank and i will only have my 60x30x36cm tank. The 60x30x36cm is currently empty and needs to be setup again. Now i am stuck with the following problems.

I currently own two shoals a shoal of 10 nannostomus eques and a shoal of 8 neon tetra stimulans.
Currently i do not have an pair of Apistogramma but i am definetly planning to get one. The 60x30x36cm tank will be to small to take both shoals with me, and now i am kinda left with the question, what would be better to go along with the Apisto's in this size of a tank. I am loving the eques but i am affraid that ones the Apisto pairs has eggs (the tank is supposed to be a community tank, but we all know when we get our community tank right, your apisto's start breeding), they will become real targets. So now i am wondering what do you guys think about this, what shoal should i pick?

My second problem is, what pair of Apisto's should i go for? I was in love with my previous pair of Apistogramma ortegai, which i am tanking about getting again. I also love the Apistogramma atahualpa, or go for a pair of Apistogramma biteniata "shushupe" , Apistogramma agassizii "manicore" or "tefe" and lastly the Apistogramma Cacatuoides (rio Nanany). All the species listed are wild ones.

Below i placed a little video about how i would like to decorate the tank. All the credits for the video go to the owner of the video ofcourse :)

Thanks in advantage!

chris1805

5 Year Member
I have but my preference would go out to getting a pair. What pair do you think would be suitable of the ones i listed? Trifisciata or Elisabetta are also an option i am thinking about.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning. You don't want a breeding pair to "make real targets" of your pencilfish, but still want a pair that probably will breed and target other fish in the tank. My mantra: A community tank is not a breedin tank. You have to choose which you want or accept the consequences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….