• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Natural varieties of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Cageman

Fantastic, thanks for your help and information. They certainly looked slightly different from the one's I have seen pictures of lately as the colours are more subtle.
They were purchased from Ultimate Aquatic, Cupar, Scotland. I had no reason to doubt them but other forums found it hard to believe.
The Rams are great, just hope they are happy in their newish home.

Cheers

Andrew

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
mummymonkey

Thanks for the advice and great picture, just wish mines were tending to eggs!

Another Question:redface: Just wondering, what temperature do you have your Ram tank at. I have been told so many different temperatures from 26-29 degrees c.

Thanks

Andrew
you also have pm
I keep rams at 28C.

lab

5 Year Member
It's definitely not to hot. 30C would be fine too. They are very heat tolerant. i once gave some of mine af heat cure (not sure how to say that in english?) like many discus keepers do. 35C was no problem at all.

In this case the temperature is a compromise between the well being of the fish and their longevity. Below 28C I don't think rams are at their best...

Lars

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I suspect your wild rams have been spawning but you haven't seen it happening. They are probably more secretive breeders than domestics.

Rams should always be kept warm. About 84F for mainenance vs 88F for breeding, That is what has worked well for me.

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Thanks

Thank's to everyone who has replied and helped me out. My tank was sitting at 27.5 and I am slowly increasing that to the proper temp. I do have another wee query, in my tank I have the 5 Rams, 4 Keyholes, 2 Otto's and 14 cardinals, would any of these suffer from the higher temp?

Sorry for taking over this thread for Natural varieties, I didn't mean too :redface:

Regards

Andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….